Ding Dong! Do you recognize that sound? Well, it's the sound of presents! That's what I worry Jax is beginning to think. You see, every time the doorbell rings lately, there's a delivery person standing on the other side of the door bearing a gift. The week started with a present for Jax. His Aunt Emily in San Francisco sent him a new flashy backpack. Thanks for thinking of him, Emily!
Yesterday, the doorbell rang again. This time, it was a baby present from our dear friend, Diane, in Wichita. Jax, of course, came running and helped me open the package to reveal the cutest little baby seat. It's a Bumbo seat designed to help the baby sit upright. However, Jax thought it resembled something else. Once unwrapping it, he shouted, "A potty!" Then he ran and put it next to his potty. He said, "The baby has a potty like me!" I had to explain that although it looked like his potty, it was really a chair. Funny that I never saw the potty resemblance until he pointed it out. Now, I fear what I may find in the chair in the future!
Yesterday, the doorbell rang again. This time, it was a baby present from our dear friend, Diane, in Wichita. Jax, of course, came running and helped me open the package to reveal the cutest little baby seat. It's a Bumbo seat designed to help the baby sit upright. However, Jax thought it resembled something else. Once unwrapping it, he shouted, "A potty!" Then he ran and put it next to his potty. He said, "The baby has a potty like me!" I had to explain that although it looked like his potty, it was really a chair. Funny that I never saw the potty resemblance until he pointed it out. Now, I fear what I may find in the chair in the future!
Continuing the gift giving, Anh came home with an early Mother's Day present, a new set of designer luggage that I had been eyeing, but would never buy because I we didn't really need it. It's what I call "weekend luggage." Basically, it's two duffel bags and a matching tote, just enough for a weekend get-a-way. I can't wait to go somewhere now!
As I was opening each piece, I noticed someone wasn't smiling. Not only weren't they smiling, their eyes were starting to water. Then the corners of their mouth started to turn downward, and I knew what was next. Tears! Jax was bawling. He had gone from happily helping Mommy unwrap her Mother's Day present to tears in a matter of seconds.
I realized that he was probably upset over being left out of the gift giving. Obviously, he had forgotten his present from Aunt Emily earlier in the week. Obviously, the baby and Mommy getting presents on the same day made him feel left out and hurt his feelings. Well, there went my excitement over my new luggage. I switched back into parent mode and tried to explain to Jax that presents weren't always for him, that now he would have to share presents with the baby. He stopped crying, but wasn't ready to forgive Daddy for not bringing him a present. He held that grudge for a little bit, but all was forgiven by the time we sat down for dinner. I think the walkie-talkies from the secret gift closet might have done the trick. I know, not the best way to teach him that it's not all about him, but he was so sad. I had to do something!
1 comment:
be OK when the baby gives him his new Jeep.
GF
Post a Comment