Friday, May 9, 2008

Guaranteed Money

It appears I am now more than just an eyeful for the general public. I am also a lawsuit waiting to happen, at least according to one store clerk. Today, Jax and I ventured out to shop for wall-mounted shelving for the nursery. I figure Anh doesn't have enough to do right now and would love to install shelving on top of dealing with a super hectic week of call. Much to his dismay, I had no luck finding the "perfect" shelves, but I did have a rather interesting conversation along the way.

While wandering the aisles of a home store, I passed by a store clerk and she asked, "Do you know what you're having, a boy or girl or both maybe?" (Don't you just love how creatively she threw in the size insult?!) I responded, "It's a boy. One boy." (Said in a very flat tone. I'm done being cordial.) She followed with, "When are you due?" To which I answered, "Any time now according to my doctor." Then she made this terrible face and asked, "What are you doing here then?" (Ummmm, where should I be, Lady?) Not really knowing how to respond, I said, "Killing time."

Then, the clerk notices another employee mopping an area nearby and yells at him, "Hey! Watch out! There's a pregnant lady here and if she slips and falls she'll own this place!" Gee, thanks for the concern for my well-being. In response to her "concern" I said, "It's okay. He's just getting ready in case my water breaks." I guess I scared her because she went back to stocking her area, and Jax and I went along our merry way. Maybe next week, assuming I'm still pregnant, I'll go back and throw myself on the floor. It's faster than waiting to win the lottery. Hey, it was her idea!

1 comment:

Annie said...

I remember those comments. They seem oh not so long ago. I remember specifically one incident when the teller at the bank asked me how much longer. At that point I think I still had about a month to go. When I told her that she screeched and said, TWINS, right? Um, no lady, I am just having a VERY large baby. People and their comments. Never cease to amaze.