Monday, May 5, 2008

Does He Really Think We'll Fall for This?

Playing in the yard yesterday reminded me of a story I had not shared from last week. On Thursday, Jax and I ventured out to Toys 'R Us/Babies 'R Us to buy BPA-free bottles for the new baby. For those that don't know, there's some controversy now about whether the chemical used to harden plastic can cause health/hormonal problems. Part of me feels like it's silly to buy all new bottles when they aren't even sure about whether the chemical is dangerous. This chemical has been in bottles for years. I mean, Jax didn't grow a third eye or anything. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that if I didn't buy the new "safe" bottles and the baby ended up sprouting a tail, people would blame me for being cheap.

So we were off to the store to buy some piece of mind. When I told Jax where we were headed, he said, "Toys 'R Us is closed." I guess I should stop telling him that when he asks to go! It's just hard to imagine working a Toys 'R Us stop into the daily routine. Anyway, while there, we kind of got off track and started looking at toys. We ended up in Jax's favorite section of the store, the ride-on aisle. Every time we go to Toys 'R Us, he has to get in every single battery-powered ride-on. To him, it never gets old. For me, it's not quite so fascinating. Over the past few visits, I have noticed that he always starts and ends with the same vehicle, a pretty rugged looking Jeep. It's obviously his favorite.

After letting him play for a bit, I told him it was time to go. He ran over to the Jeep for one last ride. While he was sitting in it, he told me, "Mommy, the baby is going to buy me a Jeep!" Needless to say, I'm was a little caught off guard. Then I remembered a conversation from days earlier when Anh asked Jax what kind of present he would want the baby to bring him. I had told Anh about how some people recommend having "the baby" bring presents home from the hospital for their brothers and sisters. Jax didn't have an answer for Anh when asked, but he certainly does now! Somehow, I think Anh was looking for a gift suggestion on a much smaller scale.

I don't know why, but I glanced at the price tag after Jax's declaration, and wouldn't you know it! Jax's favorite vehicle also happens to be the most expensive vehicle in the store at $450! I don't even know why I looked at the price. Subconsciously, I must have considered the purchase for a brief nano-second. I can't believe I would do this, even subconsciously. You should see our garage. There is no room! Not to mention, $450 is a payment on a real car! I think Jax is going to be a little disappointed when the baby doesn't pull up to the house in his new Jeep. Hopefully, he won't hold a grudge.

So you don't feel too bad for the kid and you know I'm not exaggerating, here are some pictures of his current ride-ons. He deserves no pity. All but one of these toys were gifts, by the way. We really do try not to spoil him. Others, however, seem to have a different agenda. ; )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What's the baby going to bring his Auntie Em? =) I want to visit now just to play on Jax's big collection of ride-on toys.

Anonymous said...

You better buy Jax that JEEP or he will hold a grudge against Baylor forever!!!

"You didn't bring me what I wanted. you just brought me....."

But this could also be his strongest comeback point for life.....

"Whatever, Bayor when you were a baby you brought me crap!"