Monday, May 31, 2010

Pool Party

With the Memorial Day Weekend underway and family in-town, was there any doubt about you'd find our crew? In the pool, of course! Jax and Baylor were thrilled to try out their new inflatable pirate island play set, courtesy of Aunt Emily. I have to admit it's a pretty cool toy and much appreciated gift. I see it getting lots of use this summer.
Aren't these pirates fierce looking? I wouldn't want to tangle with them! They'd surely make Mean Mommy walk the plank.Aunt Kelly couldn't resist spending the majority of her day lounging in one of the pool floats. She couldn't stop commenting on how awesome they were. Obviously she didn't believe me when I told her, "These are the best seats at the house."Grandma and Grandfather decided to watch the fun from the sidelines and stayed relatively dry that day. Of course, we did our best to drench them during the cannonball contest. We were only marginally successful. The real soaker came in the form of a slightly injured, soaking wet Baylor. When he tripped and fell on the pool deck, both grandparents offered consoling hugs which accomplished our mission to get them wet.In addition to the new pirate island, Jax also got to play with his underwater scooter for the first time. Anh took the initial test drive and was sadly disappointed to discover that this scooter probably isn't designed to haul more than 100lbs. To verify that it wasn't operator error, I took the scooter for a little underwater spin too, but given that I also fall into that 100+ lb category, I didn't have any better luck. However, at 43lbs, Jax was zipping all over the place! I think every adult in the pool was slightly jealous to say the least!As usual, Baylor was content to play on his ledge in the pool. He likes that he's in the water, but feels secure at the depth of 6 inches. Even with his floaties, he's kind of scared of the actual pool. I'm sure that will change with time and experience.The floaties weren't just for kids that afternoon either. Uncle Travis sure knows how to make an entry in the new UGA tube, yet another new toy thanks to Grandfather and Grandma. Are you sensing that we've gone a bit overload with the pool accessories? Oh well, there's something for everyone! Although not quite as impressive as Uncle Travis' entry, Aunt Kelly sure knows how to make a splash while style and grace!With the heat off, the spa served double duty. It's a place to relax, but it also functions as a kiddie pool. Baylor just has to remember to avoid that big step down in the middle. On occasion he would forget, and we all got the chance to play the role of "hero" and fish him out. I'm not sure whether the repeated unintentional underwater dips are working to cure him of his pool fears, but never once did Baylor want to get out of the water afterwards. I guess that's a good thing.If the "rescue" attention wasn't enough, I'm sure Baylor felt like a celebrity with everyone requesting pictures with him. He's hard to resist with his little belly and turtle swim trunks.After two days of fun in the sun complete with air acrobatics, we were all waterlogged and decided to return to dry land.Always the first into the water, Jax and Baylor are also usually the last to exit. They truly are water-babies. They just prefer different depths. I think it's safe to say that the backyard pool was a huge hit with the entire family. Something tells me that even Grandfather and Grandma will feel compelled to take a dip during their July visit when the temperatures will no doubt soar!

No comments: