My goodness! I thought my weekend was crazy, but this week is going to be even crazier! Some of the insanity will be filled with joy, but sadly, this week won't be all smiles. I'm one of those give me the bad news first types. So, we'll get that out of the way upfront. Over the weekend, one of friends lost her 19 year old son to a severe asthma attack. Yeah. Needless to say, that kind of put a damper on our moods. Our hearts break for their family. Life can be so cruel sometimes.
Of course, that traumatic event has stirred up all kinds of thoughts. My family knows first-hand how seriously scary and life-threatening an asthma attack can be. My little sister (Aunt Kelly) battled severe asthma when she was younger. We were luckier than our friends because she grew out of it by her teen years. Although, I may force her to start carrying an inhaler again in the wake of this terrible loss. Just humor me or Mom/Grandma (whoever gets to you first), Kelly!
Over the last few days, we've done our best to be there in any way that we can to support our friends especially Aunt Nguyen. She's been shuttling relatives from the airport while the family makes the final arrangements for the services later this week. We took dinner over last night, and it was so heartbreaking to watch the family cling to anything and everything that reminds them of their son like a voice recording they found on one of his old cell phones. They think that's the only recent recording they have of his adult voice.
On our way out the door, our friend told me to cherish the tantrums and worries that every mom experiences. She said that she was sweating the small stuff when her son passed and wishes more than anything that she had been able to realize that it's all small stuff. Our time together is all that matters. I'm going to do my best to remember that bit of wisdom. Baylor, you and your terrible-two's behavior will definitely benefit the most from this shared insight. I hope you appreciate that!
Speaking of the boys, they provide the much needed joy for the week. Jaxon will graduate from pre-school on Thursday. Yay!!! He did it. Whew! We were worried for a bit there. Just kidding! Jax is definitely excited to be moving on to Kindergarten. He remembers the funniest details about our visit to his new school on enrollment day. Like for example, he's excited about the lunch room trays. As we picked up a tray of food at the mall's food court this weekend, Jax blurted out, "I get to use these for lunch in Kindergarten!" Well, yes, you do. Clearly, it's all new and exciting even lunch room trays. Ha!
Baylor, however, gets top-billing for the week because he's turning TWO on Thursday! Geez Louise! Where did the time go? Every single day he takes a step closer to being a "big boy." The toddler days are numbered, and while I thought I'd be thrilled with the progression, I'm now searching for life's pause button. Dang it! Hasn't someone invented that yet? We probably won't have a grand celebration for Baylor this week, but we'll follow tradition and enjoy some cupcakes in his honor. That's all Baylor really cares about anyway...cupcakes!
Oh, and then throw in the fact that Anh and I are going to "prom" this weekend. The hospital is hosting a HUGE fundraising gala, and that gives us an excuse to get all dressed up and act like adults or silly teenagers whatever seems more appropriate. Let's hope it's the former as opposed to the latter. Otherwise, we'll be the talk of the hospital and that's never a good thing. So, there's the rundown for the week. The good definitely outweighs the sad. I guess that's all you can hope for in life...
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment