Thursday, May 20, 2010

TWO

Yesterday, I asked Baylor, "How old are you?" His response was, "Two," and for the first time, that answer was in fact correct. Our baby is TWO YEARS OLD! Wow! Time feels like it's flying, but at the same time, I struggle to remember life before Baylor. I guess that's a good thing. There was no grand celebration for our "big boy," but we did enjoy some sweets and introduced yet another toy to the household.
I tried to set a festive mood by decorating the table with a Disney Cars theme. After three years, Jax's obsession is finally beginning to fade, just as Baylor's fascination is peaking. What is it with two years olds and Lightening McQueen? At least in this house, the boys aren't fighting over the Cars toys as much now. Well, I guess I shouldn't make that statement until we have Grandfather over to play in a couple of weeks. We'll see if Baylor shares. Remember, buddy, don't bite the hand that feeds you! Grandfather is your one and only supplier.Getting back to the birthday, as soon as Baylor saw the decorated table when he woke up from his afternoon nap, he climbed into his seat and proceeded to sing "Happy Birthday" to himself. It actually sounded more like, "Appy Urf-ay Eww-Eww...Appy Urf-ay Eww-Eww," but it was sung to exactly the right tune. I had no idea that he even knew the song. Of course, as Aunt Kelly pointed out to me last night, Baylor does attend all of his big brother's friends' parties. The kid is more observant than I give him credit for, obviously. Oh, and Baylor didn't just understand that it was someone's birthday. He knew it was HIS day, and he made it clear to everyone that the sprinkle cupcake was his & he wasn't sharing with anyone.
Actually, we had to allow Baylor a "warm-up cupcake" before the main event because the poor kid had been forced to stare at the cupcakes on the counter all day and was very patient when he was repeatedly told, "No, not yet." whenever he pointed at the box and said, "Snack!" Once I finally opened the box and placed the cupcakes on the cake stand, all bets were off. Baylor's patience was out the window. He did not care that the tradition in our house is to eat dinner and then celebrate the special day with a birthday party. Considering that it was Baylor's special day, we didn't hold him to tradition.

After the rest of us finished dinner, Baylor was more than happy to participate in the celebration that would result in a second cupcake. However, he doesn't subscribe to the theory that less is more. He wanted those cupcakes to be FLAMING! Ultimately, I convinced him that the number 2 and the two stars were more than enough to mark the occasion.Baylor was also more than happy to be center of attention as we sung Happy Birthday to him. Although, when I saw his expression in this picture, it did make me wonder exactly how bad we must have sounded as we serenaded him!Clearly, not bad enough to ruin the moment. Baylor embraced the spotlight and then did his best to blow out the candles.
Attempt #1 - Fail.
If at first you don't succeed, recruit your older brother as help.
A joint effort finally did the trick!
By this point in the evening, Baylor had perfected his cupcake eating technique. It had evolved from an icing covered hands and face mess to the relatively clean, hands-free approach.Fueled by sugar-overload, the boys put their energy to good use on Baylor's new laptop. I like to think that he was busy composing thank you notes to his family that sent him birthday cards and spending money for his next trip to Toys R Us. Just keep in mind that he's still learning. Should your email never arrive or be eligible, I trust you won't hold it against him.And, finally, allow me to wrap up this birthday entry with yet more proof that we are Gold Star Parents. As if there was ever any doubt! Here is Baylor this morning, the day AFTER his birthday, enjoying what has to be the breakfast of champions, leftover birthday cupcakes. And, yes, he is wearing the same shirt! See, gold star!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Baylor!!!! I can't believe he is 2 already.