Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tennis, Anyone?

The boys decided to kickoff the holiday weekend with a little tennis match. Actually, it was Jax and Anh that initially headed for the neighborhood courts. Baylor and I showed up shortly after the match was under way to crash the party. I had intended to simply watch Anh and Jax from the sidelines. Baylor, however, had other plans. I should have anticipated that he'd want to get in on the action. If I had, I would have chosen more appropriate footwear. Oh well, the Crocs certainly didn't slow Baylor down!Somehow, tennis has become Jax's new favorite sport. He enjoys it more than golf, and that says a lot! Every day, as soon as Anh steps through the door, Jax exclaims, "I want to play tennis, dad!" With our busy schedules, Jax doesn't get to play as often as he'd like which made it priority #1 for the holiday weekend. No excuses, buddy! It's time to play some tennis! Anh made an attempt to teach Baylor the basics...But, Baylor seems to believe he is a prodigy and wanted to do his own thing. Shocking, right?While watching from an adjacent bench, I couldn't help noticing that the boys spent more time gathering the stray tennis balls than they did actually playing. Although, somehow they made it look equally fun. Watching Jax and Baylor dash at full speed to opposite ends of the court in competition to collect the most balls was definitely more entertaining for me. Of course, as their mom, I was also secretly hopeful that all the running would result in an early bedtime. No such luck, by the way.After the warm-up drills, Anh decided they should try to volley for a bit. Baylor had already confiscated Anh's racket which made things a little challenging. On one side of the net, Jax and Baylor worked to perfect their tennis game. On the other side, Anh was warming up his pitching arm!Eventually, a trade was orchestrated, and Baylor joined Anh's team. At least there was a racket on each side at that point. That somewhat leveled the playing field.
Anh continued to offer advice, and Baylor was slightly more accepting of the input. Slightly!With Anh's pitching arm completely worn out, we decided to call it a day. As thanks for a fun afternoon, Baylor offered the coach a kiss. Note to self: Find a female tennis instructor in the future.

No comments: