Women are sensitive when it comes to their appearance and weight. This statement shouldn't come as news to anyone. It's a well known fact. It's just how we are. Before I was pregnant, the worst public comment I ever received was the whole, "You look tired" deal from co-workers or friends. We all know that this translates to, "Wow, you look rough," but I'm going to be "nice" and say "tired." So why is it that once you're pregnant people feel like you're free game when it comes to comments?
I haven't been able to leave the house in months without someone making some comment about me, like I'm an object. It started out harmless enough. People would ask how far along I was, then make some comment about how great it is to have a Spring baby or tell me that they were born in May. Sometimes people would ask whether I knew what I was having, and then make comments about how I'm carrying the baby bump (high = boy, low = girl). Whatever, all pretty harmless, non-offensive statements.
I'm a pretty laid back person. I don't really get offended too easily. I haven't been put off on the rare occassion that some stranger has felt the need to touch my stomach while talking to me about the pregnancy. I do find this behavior strange, but I haven't been offended as many women are by this action. I draw the line, however, at public commentary about my weight/size. Why in the world would anyone think that it's okay to comment about ANY woman's weight, let alone a pregnant woman with out of control hormones? Don't they realize that not only is it rude, they are putting their lives at risk? Listen up, People, here's a very important life lesson. DO NOT COMMENT ON PREGNANT WOMEN'S SIZE!
Here's my latest experience. We were shopping recently at this great outlet mall in Orlando. Really, it's great. We'll have to take you there if you ever visit. It was towards the end of the day. I had walked miles and miles with aching pregnancy joints, looking at clothes that in no way shape or form would fit me at this point (and of course were being offered at rock bottom prices, this would not have been the case if I weren't 20 months pregnant). I had accepted the fact that all I could really purchase and use at this point would be cute shoes or a new purse.
I was having a good time just being out and about with the family doing one of my favorite activities (yes, I know I need to get a new hobby) when all of a sudden a GAP employee rained on my parade. I was leaving the store after buying a replacement outfit for Jax (that's another story) when I heard the following, "Are you having twins?" I had not spoken to this chick at all. So there was no comment made during a prior conversation that would lead her to ask me this. No, this was her ever so clever way of saying, "Good God Woman, you are the size of small country!" My response, "NO!" Then, I quickly left the store before I became the woman that you see on the news that went into a rage and tore an "innocent" woman's head off her shoulders while she was "innocently" working to support her family.
The lesson from this entry should definitely be to think before speaking to a pregnant woman. Don't just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind because clearly people's brains short-circuit at the sight of a pregnant woman. I can't promise that the next pregnant chick will have the extreme restraint that I do. ; )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment