Thursday, April 17, 2008

Is it Just Us?

Are we the only people that inherit a random child when we go out to dinner or on a family outing to the beach or park? Surely it's not just us and this actually happens to others. It seems like every time we take Jax somewhere, we somehow end up "babysitting" some other couple's kid. It starts out innocently enough with the random kid wandering over to say hi to Jax. Then the kid will somehow mistake our polite exchanges for an invitation to become the 4th member of our family. Seriously!

Whenever this happens we, of course, immediately begin scanning the area for the child's parents, and are usually greeted with a friendly wave and then nothing. They don't summon their kid back to their area or table after a few minutes. They don't come over to make sure their kid is behaving or welcome for that matter. Nope, we're stuck with their kid until we leave.

Who are these people that are so trusting of strangers with their children? Don't they watch the news?! I guess I should take their "trust" as a sign that Anh and I don't in any way come across as sketchy individuals. It just seems so strange to me how regularly this happens. Surely others can relate, right?

1 comment:

mandi said...

Hey Shannon -- welcome to blog land! I am so addicted and will add you to my daily list. To me it is like reading the daily paper!

And yes we too are victims of the random child and now that we have a swingset we get all the neighborhood kids over everyday....whether we want them or not. At least those kids I know well enough to send home!