Monday, April 28, 2008

Considering Life as a Shut-In

I'm seriously considering just how bad it would be to spend life as a shut-in until May 19th, the day of my pre-op OB appointment. I just don't think I can handle any more random comments or questions from the general public. It is impossible now to leave the house and not experience the following conversation:

Stranger: "When are you due?" (While looking at my belly with a look of absolute fear that my water will break right then & there or even worse that the baby is about to just fall out from between my legs.)

Me: "I'm having a c-section on May 20th."

Stranger: "Oh! You look like you're about to pop!"

Me: "Thanks you freakin' Moron because the physical discomfort I feel isn't enough! I really need you to insult my appearance as well!" (Okay, I don't really say that, but I'm about one comment/question away from it.)

There are actually many variations of that conversation. That's just the most common version. Then, there are all the people that have the decency to keep their traps shut, but can't help gawking at me as I waddle around trying to complete my errands. All of these experiences have led me to believe that living as a shut-in is my only option for the next 3 weeks.

I'll only leave the house to pick up Jax from school and for my weekly OB appointments, which are totally pointless by the way. What are they checking, to see if I'm still pregnant? Well, I think they would know if I had the baby. Trust me, I'm not having it at home! Okay, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm really just ranting. I actually have to venture out of the house tomorrow to the grocery store. We have absolutely no "real" food and with 21 patients lined up for tomorrow's clinic, I doubt Anh would appreciate me asking him to do the grocery shopping too.

So tomorrow I will head to the absolute worst place in the world for comments. There's something about the grocery store that just welcomes unsolicited advice, comments, and stares. Maybe when they ask when I'm due, I'll tell them that I'm actually in labor and thought I'd pick up a few items on the way to the hospital. Hey, maybe I'll fake labor and see if they'll let me skip to the front of the checkout line! I'm sure I will have something to share about the experience. Until then...

No comments: