So here's the latest update on the drama with the house. The phone rings today and because I'm not used to the whole concept of hiding out from people, I answer it without checking the caller i.d. If I had bothered to check, I would have noticed it was my shady landlord or one of his would-be associates calling to feed me some more bull, and I probably wouldn't have answered.
As soon as I answered, the landlord identified himself. I took a deep breath because I just knew things were going to get ugly. The conversation started off okay. He asked me whether I sent a new rent check to his home address, and I informed him that I was able to verify with the bank that the first check had not cleared my account. I also told him I was still waiting to hear back from the real estate attorney we hired about how I should proceed now that we know he has declared bankruptcy.
Our attorney feels we should hold off on cancelling the first check until after Thursday's foreclosure auction. Then, we should issue a new rent check for the month of November to the appointed trustee if and when he/she contacts us for back rent. Our attorney is trying to find out if a trustee has already been appointed.
Well, let's just say the landlord was not happy about that plan. He threatened to send us a 3-day pay or quit notice which effectively gives us 3 days to pay the amount owed and late charges or vacate the premises and terminate our lease. I didn't take his threat lightly. The landlord knows our goal from the very beginning of this drama has been to remain in this house. We even offered to buy the damn thing at one point! Of course, we only offered the current value on the home, not the inflated price he owes the bank. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that were unable to agree on a purchase price. The landlord's threat was clearly an attempt to use my own dread of moving again against me.
Obviously this yahoo landlord has no idea who he's dealing with. You don't threaten me! I told the landlord that he should go ahead and issue the notice because the 3 day time period begins when I'm served with papers, and then, I wished him good luck on serving me from the other side of the country in time for the 3 day period to expire while the home is still in his possession. He didn't know what to say after that because he knew I was right.
At that point, he switched gears and asked why we were opening mail sent to the house that is addressed to him. EXCUSE ME?!?! WHAT?!? I know you didn't just accuse me of committing a federal offense. You, a scammer who hasn't paid mortgage notes on properties valued at over $4 million dollars in almost 2 years, better not be about to lecture me on what is considered right & wrong.
I told him, "I, sir, know the difference between right & wrong! Wrong would be opening mail that isn't addressed to me or my husband. HOWEVER, I am completely in the right when opening legal notices mailed separately to both my husband and me as legally required by the state of Florida. If you had bothered to open any of the numerous notices mailed to you, you would see that we are clearly listed on the bottom of each and everyone one. That indicates we received a copy of said notice. I'm sorry that you didn't bother to look, but under no circumstances will you call my house and accuse me of wrongdoing. I have been nothing except up front with you since day 1. You, however, have lied at every turn to insure that we continue to send you the monthly rent. Given that you've decided to call my house and insult me, you can now communicate with us through our attorney. I will forward you her contact information." Click.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment