Sunday, June 21, 2009

Taking It Down A Notch

The remainder of our extended weekend was much tamer. Probably because we were exhausted from Friday's shenanigans. We spent most of Saturday exploring Vegas' over-the-top casinos and shopping.Most of the group agreed that the Wynn is where we would most like to stay on a future trip. It's grand and swanky, but there's a touch of whimsy to the decor that keeps it from being stuffy.Not wanting to fully detox, we all thought it would be fun to grab a drink on the patio of Parasol Down. It was such a relaxing setting with the sun shining and the waterfall cascading down into the pool. We could have stayed there for hours. Actually, I think we did, much to our waitress' delight!From the Wynn, we made our way back towards the center of the strip. Along the way, Kelly picked up a few bottles of champagne, and we devised a plan to enjoy the bubbly as we watched the fountain shows from the air-conditioned comfort of Alexis' room at the Bellagio. I'm not sure what was more fun, watching the fountains "dance" or opening & closing the curtains via remote control. Our room at Paris didn't come with that feature.From that point, the group had to splinter. Anh and I made our way back to Paris to get ready for our evening of theatre with the Davorens. We had purchased tickets to see O, the Cirque de Soleil water show. The imagery and athleticism of the artists was absolutely amazing, but ultimately we left the show a little confused. All four of us were certain there was a "story" or message hidden in that production, but none of us were able to grasp it. Not surprising considering that we were basically zombies by that point thanks to alcohol and our lack of sleep.

Somehow we garnered a 2nd wind though and met back up with the group after the show to venture out for some late night excitement. Brad's group also manages a couple of Vegas' hot clubs. Now, if you've ever met Anh and me, you know we're not exactly the type to go clubbing, but we couldn't resist taking a peek, especially after learning that we would be escorted right past the hundred or so people waiting at the velvet ropes to get in. Who could pass up such VIP treatment? While I'm still certain I will at no point experience a mid-life crisis and feel the need to frequent clubs, I can definitely say that it was a fun night. We mingled with the young and fabulous on the dance floor, saw Chris Angel (a Vegas magician/illusionist) and Fat Joe (a not-too-famous rapper) perform, and then worked our way into the roped off VIP area. We didn't see any celebrities, just lots of people that had paid a small fortune to get behind the 2nd set of velvet ropes so they could feel important.
Sunday was by far our most relaxing day. Not because we planned it that way, but because we had absolutely no energy to do anything other than lay by Paris' beautiful pool. Afraid we would get the shakes if we detoxed at that point, we kept the cocktail waitress quite busy. Eventually, we got motivated and decided to go try our luck at the tables. This did not end up being the brightest idea, but that's part of the fun right? Although, Kelly did not see how putting your money down & then watching someone take it away from you was fun.

For what it's worth, I did start out on a positive note. I chose to warm-up on the $1 slots, and after investing $5/5 pulls, I won $100. I didn't have it long though. The craps table was not as rewarding. Oh well, I wasn't alone. We all left Vegas with lighter pockets, but the memories we'll share are beyond priceless.

No comments: