Monday, June 29, 2009

Everything Happens for a Reason

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post, we've been dealing with some A/C issues around here. Our house is split into three zones, and only 1 out of the 3 was actually being cooled. The good news was that we weren't living completely without cool air in this ridiculous Florida heat, but the bad news was that none of the bedrooms were within the functioning zone. Thank goodness for ceiling fans!

Actually, it wasn't all that bad. If it had been, I would have forked over the extra money and called the repairman out over the weekend. As it was, we were out and about the majority of the time. So, I figured we'd just wait until today and pay the lower rate rather than cancel our plans and pay more for the luxury of cool air throughout our house. My back-up plan, in case it got too hot, was to have a family "camp out" in the living room. Wouldn't that have been a sight?!

Well, today the repairman discovered that one of our two air handlers had actually frozen. There was a simple fix though. He thawed it out, vacuumed out all the water, replaced the filter, and we were back in the 70's. Yippee!

Although, there was a little more excitement during the visit. Hey, it wouldn't be our house if things went smoothly! As a part of the repair process, the repairman checked the outside a/c units and discovered our gas meter, located right next to them, had a major leak. Great! That was pretty much my exact reaction when he informed me of the news. The repairman used a wrench to turn off the flow of gas while I called the gas company to come out and take a look at my ticking time bomb.

I guess it was an easy fix because the gas technician was here for all of 5 minutes. He couldn't explain why the leak occurred, but assured me that it was rare, and I shouldn't start obsessively checking the meter. He also assured me that because the leak was "before the meter," I shouldn't be receiving a $3000 gas bill next month. What a relief!

So, tonight, I'm actually quite grateful to be blogging from my cool comfortable house that is still in one piece. Yep, today was a good day!

No comments: