Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Good Clean Fun

Jax and I made a trip to our dentist's office today for a routine check-up and cleaning. This was actually Jax's first time seeing Dr. C-L. Previously, I took him to a pediatric dentist, but to make life simple, I thought we'd see how he liked going to our office.

Dr. C-L and her staff certainly rolled out the red carpet for their newest patient. Claudia, our dental hygienist, suggested that I go first so Jax could watch and then hopefully wouldn't feel anxious when it was his turn. As Claudia examined my teeth, she invited Jax who was studying her every move to come over and take a closer look. Well, Jax took that invitation very literally. He stood opposite of Claudia, within a couple of inches of my face, and peered into my mouth, taking in every little detail like he was going to be quizzed afterwards or something.

The highlight of the experience came when Claudia was polishing my teeth. She let Jax move from spectator to participant. He was essentially her assistant and placed in charge of suction. Oh, he thought he was important! It was actually hilarious. I had a hard time not laughing. When it was Jax's turn, he climbed right up into the chair, eager to be the patient. Again, when it came time to polish, Claudia let Jax hold the suction. Who knew suction could be so exciting?! Oh, to be 4 years old again!

Afterwards, Dr. C-L came by, took a quick peek at us, and declared our mouths in good shape. We were both rewarded with toothbrushes and toothpaste, but Jax got an extra treat from the treasure box. Not fair! I was good too! Oh well, maybe next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!! Maybe he will be a dentist :)

Anonymous said...

We don't want to be a stinking dentist. We are surgeons.