Jaxon's school Christmas party was today, and I was there to witness the pandemonium. Actually, it was a lot of fun. Never once did I feel the need to drink, and I'm not sure it's because the scene was any less chaotic. I think I'm just getting used to that environment.
When we walked into the classroom at 8:30am it was business as usual. The kids were obviously enjoying "playtime" because there were toys scattered from here to kingdom come, but when the buzzer on the timer went off, they all worked together to collect the toys and placed them back in their bins and on the shelves in perfect order. Gee...where can I get one of those magic timers that turns small children into cleaning drones?
Since you could once again see the carpet, the kids made their way to their seat to enjoy a morning snack, Gogurts. Now, I've seen these at the store, but never purchased them. In my mind, Jax + a squeeze tube of yogurt = a huge mess. So when I saw that they were about to hand out tubes of mess to 19 3-year olds, I really thought they had lost their minds. Turns out I wasn't giving my kid or kids in general enough credit. Everyone did a great job and managed to keep their Christmas party clothes clean. Well, almost everyone. There was 1 girl that thought couldn't quite master the technique.
Snack time transitioned into a little 3 song performance which transitioned into story time. Then, just as Ms. Susan was finishing the last story, we welcomed a special guest. Santa and his helper, Ms. Peggy from the front office, popped in for a quick visit bringing our Santa visits to a nice even 4 for this season. This time, Santa was feeling generous though. Instead of the usual candy cane or bubbles, he presented each child with a story book. Jax, appropriately, received a Cars book complete with stickers. He was DELIGHTED!
Santa couldn't stay long. This is his busy season after all. So after saying our good-byes, the kids went outside to run off some energy. Ms. Susan and us parents used this time to set up stations for the kids to work on several craft projects. In the end, I was the proud recipient of some Christmas-themed refridgerator art and a custom-by-Jax coffee mug. Yeah!
We wrapped up the party with a lunch buffet that included delishish, but unpopular items like mac & cheese, deli ham rolls, cheese cubes, assorted veggies with ranch dip, grapes, banana & apple slices. "What were the popular options?" you might ask. Well...cookies, cookies on a stick, rice krispy treats, and brownies, of course! Why eat anything remotely healthy when you can gorge yourself on sugar.
Why we, the parents, stood around and let that happen I don't really know. I'm not sure what Ms. Susan was thinking either. Following the sugarfest, she tried to put the kids down for their usual nap. Yeah right! Good luck with that, Susan! I decided it was probably best to just take Jax with me, rather than leave him there to vibrate with energy on his nap mat.
We gave all of the teachers and the front office ladies little token gifts of appreciation for Christmas, wished them and their families the best during the holidays, and then uttered the always popular phase, "See you next year!" as we headed out the door. Another fun day in the life of one lucky 3-year old.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment