Tonight we got the confirmation we were waiting for. I think we made the right decision when we took a chance and moved here. God knows the process of relocating had it's ups and downs, and it's only natural that we would question whether we did the right thing. So far, we've been really happy with our choice, but we've also been living in anticipation that the other shoe would eventually fall, and we'd be smacked in the face with reality and all the ugliness and mess that reality can sometimes include.
Tonight was the hospital's holiday party, and despite the fact that it was being held at the nicest restaurant in town, we were prepared to walk into a room filled with people staring at their watches wondering if they'd put in enough face time and could bail on the obligatory function. You can imagine our surprise when we walked through the door and discovered a room filled with people that were dressed to the 9's and ready to party into the wee hours of the morning. These people weren't punching the clock. They were there to have a good time!
Everyone was welcoming and seemed genuinely happy to be there. And by "there," I don't just mean the party. These people are happily employed and actually like their employer. What a wonderful surprise! I'm not sure I really believed that existed anymore. People that like the corporation they work for especially a hospital?! Blasphemy!
I did not dislike where we were before, but I definitely like this area better. There's just something about it. I'm not even sure I can accurately describe what it is that I like. As Anh was finishing up his residency and we were trying to decide where we would move, I told him that I wanted to move somewhere quaint. Somewhere like Stars Hollow.
My all-time favorite tv show is the Gilmore Girls. For those that aren't familiar with it, the show is about a young mother and her teenage daughter. They live in a tiny, fictional town called Stars Hollow that is situated somewhere in the Northeast.
I know it's silly, but I told Anh that I wanted to live in Stars Hollow, a little town where people know and care about their neighbors. People don't shop at Wal-marts and don't eat at Applebees. They have festivals and fairs for everything under the sun. They embrace small town life and all that it has to offer.
Well, we freakin' live in Stars Hollow. Everyone sort of knows everyone else, meaning you don't know everyone, but I guarantee you that Person A and Person B are both united by a Person C. And, we really do have a festival for just about everything. If we aren't celebrating the season, then we're celebrating art or cultures or pirates! I'm not kidding. We are some festival lovin' fools here!
So tonight when we met other young couples with kids and similar interests, it just all kind of came together. We made the right choice. We're right where we're supposed to be, and it feels awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment