Okay, it was really more like 2 hours in the life, but today I got a glimpse of what a preschool teacher experiences each day. Honestly, it wasn't too bad. Of course, I probably had a somewhat askew picture of what a day with 19 3-year olds entails since I've only spent extended periods with Jax's classmates during holiday parties when the kids are hopped up on massive amounts of sugar and adrenaline. Let's just say the Energizer Bunny ain't got nothin' on these kids!
So I was just a tad bit nervous about my decision to volunteer at the school during the teacher's monthly staff meeting since it meant I would be ALONE with the kids for 2 hours. Even Ms. Susan isn't alone with them. She has the aid, Ms. Stephanie. When I walked into the school, the front office ladies, Peggy and Jill, just nervously smiled at me and thanked me profusely for helping out. I was thinking, "Oh yeah. This is going to be a nightmare! What have gotten myself into?" But, what came out of my mouth was, "Oh, no problem. I'm sure it will fun!"
As soon as I opened the classroom door, I heard kids joyfully screaming in unison, "Jaxon's mommy is here! Jaxon's mommy is here!" For a moment, I felt like a celebrity. They were all completely fascinated by my presence (of course, who wouldn't be?) and thrilled when they found out that I was staying for a bit. Or, maybe they were just excited that Ms. Susan and Ms. Stephanie were leaving. Maybe these devious little 3-year olds, during their hotdog lunch, were actually plotting to stage a coup as soon as they were alone with me.
As it turns out, I was in luck. The teachers actually take pity on the parent volunteers and hold their staff meetings during nap time. What a relief! I just knew Ms. Susan was going to throw me into the middle of a craft project that involved paint, glue, and glitter and then run out of the classroom laughing hysterically. You know she wanted to!
After cleaning up the lunch tables and a quick potty break, Ms. Susan and Ms. Stephanie helped the kids get settled on their sleeping pads and turned on the nap music. They told me that the routine is to go around and tuck each child in. They were leaving me with that responsibility. No problem! I got the easy part! The kids watched as I made my way around the room covering everyone with their blankets and wishing them sweet dreams.
The girls all fell asleep in record time. The boys wiggled and squirmed all over the place. Only 2 actually fell asleep. The rest just laid there quietly tossing, turning, and staring at me, waiting for me to look away so they could create some mischief. Overall, the kids were little angels. When Ms. Stephanie returned 90 minutes later asking for the report on who caused trouble and shouldn't get a "nap treat," I could honestly report that everyone deserved one. They didn't give me a bit of trouble.
After an impromptu question and answer session in which I was addressed as Jaxon's Mommy, it was time to go. Of course, Jax wanted to leave with me. The kids seemed genuinely sad to see us go, but then Ms. Stephanie whipped out the nap treats and all was once again right in the world. Next week, I'll volunteer again, but it will be at the Christmas party. So, the kids will be back to what I consider "normal," bouncing off the walls and screaming at the top of their lungs while racing around the room. BUT, the key is that I will simply be there as backup. Any catastrophic meltdowns won't be my fault!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment