Monday, January 25, 2010

A Little Experiment

The timing of this experiment probably couldn't be worse, what with Baylor just now settling back into his normal bedtime routine. The novelty of being able to escape the crib has worn off. While Baylor may still protest a few minutes as you're carrying him up to bed, once the bedroom door is closed, he lays down and quickly falls asleep.

Why are we experimenting with a successful scenario? Well...because we're CRAZY! No, not really. We've decided to try having the boys share a room. No furniture has been relocated just yet, but if this week is a success, we'll be rearranging a bit. This has been the plan all along. However, we weren't expecting Baylor to outgrow his crib so quickly. So, this week is a trial run for the potential roommates.

Tonight, they're bunking together in Baylor's room. Jax is on an inflatable mattress, and Baylor is tucked into his crib as usual. They seem happy with the arrangement, but that's probably because it's new & fun, like they're camping out or spending the night off at a friend's house. We'll see how they feel about sharing space at the end of the week or when they're teenagers!

2 comments:

mandi said...

Why did you guys have them share a room, just out of curiousity? we are thinking if our third is a boy we will have him bunk with noah. Just wondering your reasoning behind it.

We moved noah to a big boy bed when he climbed out and the novelty of getting out wore off too. However occasionally meredith will want him to sleep in her room and that NEVER works for us. good luck!!!

Shannon said...

Last night went okay with the 2 boys rooming together. There were no issues falling asleep. However, in the morning, both boys greeted us in our bedroom bright & early. Baylor usually sleeps in a bit longer than Jax. I guess that won't be the case, if they're sleeping together. One wakes the other.

As far as sharing a room, Anh and I just always thought that since they're close in age and both boys, it might help create a stronger bond between the two if they shared a room for a bit. I don't think we imagined them doing it forever, just while they're little. Jax & Baylor play relatively well with each other, and there aren't any significant sibling rivelry issues as far as I can tell. So, I think it will work out well.

I just have to see if I can get them on the same schedule & then make sure that schedule works well for the bedtime & morning routines.