Thursday, January 28, 2010

Live Strong

Today, I thought it would be fun to switch up the exercise routine which right now consists of walking once a week with two friends. Yeah, I know it's obvious based on that first sentence that I'm super dedicated to getting in shape. Anyway, moving on. A bike ride seemed like a great idea and it couldn't hurt to incorporate a second round of physical activity into the week.

So, I dusted off my lovely new bike that has been collecting dust since last October, buckled Baylor in the child seat, and headed off to enjoy the afternoon sunshine & some fresh air. As Baylor and I cruised the neighborhood streets, I was surprised to discover that there are quite a few construction projects underway. Maybe the housing market is rebounding. I guess time will tell.

After about an hour my legs were burning. Go figure! I wonder if the 30lbs of dead weight I was carrying had anything to do with it? I thought it was probably best to head home before my legs gave out or we ran out snacks for Baylor. Both scenarios wouldn't have been pretty. Of course, the decision to call it a day resulted in a change of fortune. Our lovely afternoon cruise came to an abrupt stop thanks to my bicycle chain falling off track, and that abrupt stop sent Baylor and I tumbling to the ground. Luckily, the only thing hurt was our pride.

I dusted both of us off, loaded all the gear back into my cargo basket, fixed the bike chain, and once again took off peddling for home. I convinced myself that it's okay to fall, even Lance has taken some nasty spills throughout his cycling career. What's important is that you pick yourself off & continue on the journey. So, that's what we're gonna' do. Keep on ridin'!

2 comments:

Terrace Crawford said...

Live Strong!

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

Amanda said...

I have fallen off my bike a few times. :) At least you got a good workout in.