Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thank You, Easter Bunny!

This year, Easter served as the grand finale for our spring break. Uncle Al was with us for the week, and Grandfather, Grandma, and Uncle Travis joined us for the holiday weekend. I knew to expect a full house because everyone in our family always looks forward to Easter. Actually, we all look forward to our highly competitive family Easter egg hunt!

Prior to the hunt, we all fueled up on Grandma's famous sausage and broccoli quiche. I spent Easter morning channeling my inner Martha Stewart while baking this cake as a special dessert, but really it was just a distraction as we waited on the Easter Bunny to arrive.I don't know what he does for your household, but since we were little, the Easter Bunny has always littered our yard with candy and money eggs. Yes, he's very generous! Over the years, the number of participants has definitely grown and so has the competitive nature of the event. While the extra money is nice and always appreciated, what everyone really wants are the bragging rights earned by finding the gold and/or silver eggs.

(Lined up waiting for the hunt to begin. Baylor didn't like my plan to accessorize him with bunny ears.)This year's golden egg contained $100 and the silver egg had $50. The Easter Bunny really takes his time when hiding these two eggs which makes the hunt fun, but also quite challenging. Additionally, the Easter Bunny scatters another hundred or so eggs filled with candy and smaller amounts of money.

Essentially, there are 2 strategies that one can apply towards victory. One, go for quantity and run like crazy trying to gather the most eggs so you will hopefully wind up with the most money. Or, two, focus on quality and spend your time diligently hunting for the high dollar eggs.

Personally, I don't like to leave anything to chance. I go for quantity because I know that in the end I should at least have a basket of yummy candy and a few bucks. Jax takes after me. He was running around like a mad man. He was still going at full speed when us older participants were winded from our initial sprint.
I guess we were quite the sight because this was Baylor's expression for most of the event. I guess the secret is out...we're all crazy!In the end, Uncle Al was the big winner! He spotted the golden egg that was hidden on the roof of the house, yet visible from the yard in accordance with the rules established prior to the hunt. Aunt Nguyen came in second place after both Anh and I walked right by the silver egg hidden in the base of Jax's basketball goal. I guess it pays to be thorough!

Uncle Al was denied his moment of glory, however. Jax insisted on posing with the gold egg for the "official" results photo. This will no doubt cause some confusion in the future when we reflect on the past!Since his age put him at a bit of a disadvantage, we held a seperate egg hunt especially for Baylor. Luckily, he had a bit of practice during our hunt. Ironically, Baylor actually came out ahead of Anh in the main event. He found three $5 eggs bringing his grand total to $15 while Anh only managed to grab seven $1 eggs. Plus, Baylor watched Jax hunt eggs at school and at a birthday party last week. So, he kind of knew the routine.

Initially, Baylor was distracted by the flock of sheep that had magically appeared in the yard.
Clearly, Baylor is already an animal rights' activist. He made it his mission to free the sheep! After convincing Baylor that the sheep were quite comfortable in their pen, he was able to focus on the task at hand.Since he has zero interest in money at this point, Baylor's big prize was a little baseball mitt. Now, he'll be able to play along with his dad and brother in the yard. He's officially part of the team now!
Thank you for everything, Easter Bunny! We're already counting down the days until next year!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Baylor is seriously too cute! I bet he liked those sheep!

Unknown said...

Oh! And did you say you made that beehive cake?!?! That is AMAZING. Was it honey flavored? I want one next time I come down!

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you tell everyone that the "Winner" picture was taken right where we killed the 30" snake the night before. I also notice that Baylor is looking up to where the Golden Egg was hidden. He must have been watching when I snuck in his room to hide it outside his upper patio door. What a sneak.
GF

Shannon said...

Kelly - Yep, I made the cake! It had a hint of lemon flavor with a honey glaze. Pretty good if I do say so myself. ; )

Oh, and as Grandfather mentioned in the comments, we had a little visitor prior to the Easter Bunny's arrival. When Grandmother went out the night before to walk the dogs, she spotted a big snake in the yard.

The response was "off with his head!" Afterwards, we did a little internet research and the best we could come up with was that it was a non-venomous watersnake.

That encounter made everyone a little leary of putting their hand into a bush to retrieve Easter eggs though!

Brandi said...

oh my! Your Easter sounds like it was a blast! What fun ideas! We just tossed some eggs in the yard and let Ethan find them, LOL.

Shannon said...

Yeah, we tend to get a little out of control sometimes! : ) We even had a glow-in-the-dark night egg hunt ready to go, but the discovery of the snake made everyone rethink running around in the dark. Yikes!