Thursday, April 2, 2009

It Wasn't All Sunshine & Rainbows

So...I've been pondering how I was going to approach this news or whether to share it at all. I mean, this blog is primarily a tool I use to share updates and news about the kids, myself, or Anh. I try to keep it positive, occasionally I'm unsuccessful. Rarely, if ever, do I share another's news because I don't really consider my place or business to do so.

However, I really don't think this can go unmentioned. While my trip to California was packed with many wonderful moments that will no doubt resulted in so many treasured memories, there was one extremely sad period.

It was Monday afternoon, and I was strolling down Main Street in St. Helena. I called Anh to check in on life at home and that's when I learned that I, along with the rest of the world, had lost a truly incredible person. My dear friend that was battling cancer had passed away. She went peacefully surrounded by family, and really, it was such a relief to know that she was finally at peace.

I found it extremely poignant that she passed while I was in Napa. She was with me during my first trip to wine country. In fact, I only went because I was already in San Francisco, and it was a chance to meet up with her. Our time there was absolute perfection: good food, good wine, and good friends. It was the perfect combination.

My only regret is that the timing of her passing made it completely impractical to attend her funeral, but funerals are for those left behind and honestly, I wasn't really close with most of her friends and family. When we spent time together it was usually just us or we'd invite her to join in on our family activities because that's what we considered her, family.

Ultimately, I know that I was there for her while she was alive, and somehow I think that's what matters most. Anyway, I just didn't think something this important could go unmentioned. The blog revolves around us and the things in life that affect us, and well...this definitely affected us.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shannon,

So sorry for your loss. I hope knowing you have an angel looking down on you and the boys brings you peace.

Jennifer

Amanda said...

Oh Shannon, I am so sorry to hear this. But she is in a better place now. You are such a good person and I am sure she knows how much you cared for her. (((HUGS)))