Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Saving It For Later

After lunch, Jax asked for the new Oreo snack cakes that I bought for him (and Aunt Kelly, the Snack Queen) at the grocery store yesterday. I agreed, but since there are 2 in each package, I told him he could only have one. The other would have to be saved for later or shared with Daddy. Jax (and Anh who was home for lunch) agreed this was a good plan. Anh opened the package, handed Jax his cake, and then placed the other cake, still in the opened packaging on the kitchen counter.

As if jealous of the special treat, Baylor started fussing from his playmat. I guess he was tired of being ignored so I turned my attention to him. After a few minutes of playing had passed, Jax came strolling back into the family room/kitchen. I didn't even notice that he had left. Nor had I noticed that he left with the opened package containing the 2nd snack cake, but I sure did notice it in his hand when he returned. He looked at me and said, "I want to save it for later," as he climbed onto his chair to put the package back on the counter where Anh had left it. I gave him a "you know better" look and said, "I think that's a good idea."

A few more minutes passed, before it dawned on me that I was an idiot. I looked at Anh who was standing in the kitchen and said, "Check that package to see if the 2nd cake is still in there." Sure enough, Jax had snuck off and ate it, and then he tried to play it off, like Mommy and Daddy were fools that would never find out. What a punk!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is pretty sneaky! I hope he leaves one for me to eat tomorrow!