Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Clutter

Mother Nature may not be on-board yet, but I'm moving on and declaring that it's Spring! To me, March = Spring. I don't care what that groundhog says. In an attempt to get in the spirit, I've started my annual Spring cleaning which means organizing all of the closets and drawers that have become unruly over the past 12 months. WOW!!!! When did my family decide that opening a closet door, throwing items in, and then closing the door meant "cleaning up?" Well, that's got to stop!

Yesterday (Day 1), I decided to tackle my closet. It was completely out of control, exploding at the seams. Not only did I reorganize , I also managed to weed out a massive pile of clothing that cannot or should not be worn in public again. And really, if I can't wear it in front of strangers, why would I subject my poor family to the sight of me in it? Truth be told, most of the clothing I'm parting ways with just isn't in style anymore. I guess I hung on to it thinking, "Oh, fashion is cyclical. This stuff will be cool again one day." AND, no doubt about it, now that I'm getting rid of it, I'll see it all featured in Vogue next month.

Today, fueled by a sense of accomplishment from yesterday's cleaning, I moved on to the pantry. Holy Cow! You could feed a small country with what's in there! Unfortunately, there's no rhyme or reason to how it was placed on the shelves. I could have sworn I thought IN DEPTH about how to organize the pantry when we moved in to this house. Evidently, whatever system was once in place, has been abandoned. The new strategy obviously was, "Shove it wherever you see open space!" Again, not a good system, People!

Tomorrow, I believe I'll move on to the coat closet. Let me assure you that it houses everything under the sun in addition to our coats and jackets! I'm afraid of what I may discover in there because even the kids know that spot as the"Hmmmm...I don't know where we should put this" closet. Seriously, it's that bad, and I've been avoiding this chore FOREVER because I can't really just reorganize that closet. I have to find a new, more appropriate home for the 5 million things in there. Keep your fingers crossed for me that the closet doesn't swallow me up and hold me hostage! Tomorrow ain't gonna' be pretty!

No comments: