Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Things That Go Bump in the Night

I'm certainly not trying to gloss over Thanksgiving with this entry. We had a great holiday weekend with our family, and of course, I have some stories and pictures to share. However, I'll have to save that info for another day because we have much more dramatic news to share...

Baylor has probably earned his first scar! Before anyone starts to worry, he's fine. Within five minutes of the accident, Baylor was his usual happy & mischievous self. You'd never know that he was a trauma patient only minutes before. Unfortunately, the adults that attended to him took a bit longer to recover from the scare. Until that very moment, I never knew the true power of lollipops and cartoons on your iPhone. Those two things can make any situation better!
What happened? Well, Baylor had a nasty run-in with a stocking holder, a heavy star-shaped holder to be exact. I knew the dangling decorative stockings would attract his attention, but I didn't think he was tall enough to reach them. Wrong! Very, very WRONG! Crash!!! Baylor took a direct hit right between the eyes. It wasn't pretty. Blood was gushing, and I was panicking. Thank goodness we have a surgeon in the house.
Instead of the emergency room, we headed for the master bathroom. Anh keeps some medical supplies on hand for emergencies, and last night, Dermabond was the tool of choice. Basically, it's an alternative to stitches. Anh simply "glued" Baylor's laceration closed. The gash isn't terribly big, but it is deep. Plus, the area is swollen and bruised. My fingers are crossed that it won't scar. Time will tell.
Ultimately, the injury is minor. The damage could have been much, much worse. It's probably needless to say, but as soon as we exited the trauma bay (aka the bathroom), I promptly relocated the stockings to the stair railings...no stocking holders necessary. Maybe we'll bring them out next year or maybe not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,
I'm a national health reporter writing a story about holiday decorating injuries. Do you have a few minutes to talk?
E-mail me at jonel.aleccia@msnbc.com
Thanks.

Jennifer said...

Shannon, I am SO glad you posted this today. Jack has a black and purple eye because my mom had her holiday tablecloth on the table (she never has a tablecloth), and Jack climbed onto the table to get a piece of candy for him and my dad, and he slipped and fell between two cheers, busting his eye on the bottom rail of one. It looks terrible and I feel terrible. Luckily neither was serious, right? He asked me, "Mommy, I need a new eyeball?" Hahahahha.

Shannon said...

Oh no, Jennifer! I'm so sorry to hear about Jack's eye. I did feel terrible the night of Baylor's accident, but after seeing that he was going to be okay, I stopped beating myself up over it. Accidents happen.