Monday, August 17, 2009

Senior Year

In a way, this is Jax's senior year! He's no longer a 3-year old freshman. Nope, he's a big man on campus, a senior in 4-year old preschool. Yesterday, we attended the mandatory school orientation where we met his new teacher, Ms. T, and his new aide, Ms. L.
Ms. T has been teaching at the preschool for 19 years! I'd say she knows what to expect from the rowdy group of youngsters that she's inheriting. She's probably seen it all! Ms. L, however, is a different story. She just graduated with a degree in early childhood education, and I imagine her head will be spinning thanks to the insane whirlwind of activity that has now invaded the classroom.

Speaking of the classroom, it's absolutely adorable. It's jam-packed with toys and activity stations for just about everything that could remotely interest a 4-year old. They even have a classroom pet, fish. I think I worry about the fish the most. It can't be an easy life living in a preschool classroom with 18 little kids constantly tapping on the aquarium walls while making scary or odd faces. Odds are not good for those poor fish!

It was also good to catch up with the other parents. You always find out way too much dirt on the other children in your child's class at these sort of events. Parents either over-share about their kid's issues or they spill the beans on other's children. We're one day into the school year, and I feel like I know way too much already. I can only imagine what they have to say about us.

So, after socializing for a couple of hours, we made our escape. Oh, I mean exit. The insanity didn't end there though. No, we had something even crazier in store for us, the mall. I wanted to buy Jax a new pair of tennis shoes, and well, there's nothing like heading to the mall the day before the new school year. It's possibly worse than shopping on Christmas Eve. Luckily, we found 2 pairs of tennis shoes for Jax that we all agreed on, and Baylor scored a new pair too.

The odd thing is that Jax's 2 pairs of shoes are actually styles that I picked out for Baylor, but once Jax saw them insisted those were "his" shoes. So, I'm sorry, Baylor...big brother stole your style! I guess that's just one of the many benefits to being the eldest. You get first dibs on pretty much everything.

I have to admit though, Jax was pretty excited this morning when it was time to head off and start the new year. I don't know whether it was the excitement of seeing his friends, learning new things, or wearing his new shoes, but Jax was all smiles. Let's hope mornings stay this easy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so nice he enjoys his little life :)

Amanda said...

How cute is he!