Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How Does He Come Up With This Stuff?

Jax has perfected the art of stalling at bedtime. His tactics continue long after you've tucked him in, kissed him goodnight, turned off the light, and left the room. He'll call out the most creative attention-seeking things from his bed trying to lure us back up to his room. To ward off this behavior, we go through a laundry list of statements before leaving the room. Here's an example:

"All right buddy, time to go to bed. Close your eyes. Stay in bed. Don't call for Dad. Don't pick your nose, so you won't get a nosebleed. Stay in bed. Only get up to go pee-pee. You can get up and go pee-pee by yourself. Don't call Dad. I love you. Mom loves you. Stay in bed. Here's your water. If you need it, take a sip. Don't get out of bed. Don't call Dad. I'll see you in the morning."

Last night, Jax got creative. "Dad, my back is itchy! Can you come scratch it?" Anh caved after the 2nd request, climbing the stairs to scratch Jax's back and once again, rattle off the laundry list of bedtime instructions. After that, Jax finally gave up and fell asleep.

Well, today, Jax mentioned his itchy back again. Since it was no where near bedtime, I figured it might be a good idea to check out his back. Maybe something had bitten him. At first, I didn't really see anything. There was no redness, but upon closer inspection, I noticed some tiny, little bumps that looked like a mild allergic reaction. I said, "Buddy, you must be allergic to something. We'll have to figure out what it is and get rid of it." Without even skipping a beat, Jax said, "I'm allergic to Baylor!"

This freakin' kid!

1 comment:

Somewhere I Have Never Been...Sometimes I am. said...

hilarious! i think i have a backscratcher i can send ya-u can add it to the laundry list!