I'm finally ready to admit that physical activity is necessary to get rid of baby weight. Dieting alone would probably shed the pounds (it did last time), but I'm impatient and want to see results now. I can't drop Baylor off at the fitness center child care program until he's 6 months old. I'll be able to join the crowd that will probably start working out after New Year's.
Then, another idea came to me. I decided that I'd buy a bike and child carrier to get some exercise while exploring our massive new neighborhood, but I discovered that they don't sell helmets small enough for Baylor. So, there went that idea.
Not sure what else to really do, I started reading workout DVD reviews and discovered one put out by The Biggest Loser workout guru, Jillian. I don't watch this show, but with over 400 positive reviews, I decided it was worth the $14 investment. How could that many people be wrong.
Today was Day 1. I actually previewed the DVD yesterday while sitting on the couch. Can you tell I'm really looking forward to working out? Right! I did find the motivation to go buy the hand weights I need. I went with the lightest 2 lb weights. Baby steps, people!
I've set a goal that starting today, I'll do the 20 minute workout Monday through Friday. If I'm really motivated, I'll use my treadmill or take a walk around the neighborhood. Maybe I'll build up to jogging, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Anyway, I survived the first session. I was surprised that such simple basic moves would have my heart pounding, but that's a good thing.
Jax came down during the last couple of minutes of the workout and stared at me with disbelief. I explained, "Mommy is exercising, Buddy." He just stood there and watched. The DVD ended, and I headed for the locker room (my shower). As soon as I came out, Jax walked up to me holding my hand weights. I could tell he was upset. "What's wrong, Buddy?" He looked up at me and said, "I wanna' exercise too." "Okay, Buddy, I'll put it on for you."
I restarted the DVD and watched as he went through the entire 20 minute workout that had left me huffing and puffing, swearing I was about to die, but Jax did it effortlessly. He wasn't breathing heavy, sweating, nothing. Nothing short of amazing when you consider that 2 lb weights for me must feel like 10 lb weights to him. I was impressed. Then, I was disgusted when he restarted the DVD and started to go through the workout AGAIN! Now, he's just showing off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, Shannon,
Since I saw you, Pam and Regan all were doing 30 Day Shred, I had to try it. Day 1 damn near killed me.
Post a Comment