Today was the big Halloween party at school, and let me tell you, IT WAS CHAOS! But, I'll give credit where credit is due. Considering that there were 24 3-year olds cracked out on massive amounts of sugar, I'd say it was a well organized and controlled type of chaos. Ms. Susan & Ms. Stephanie must have nerves of steal. I know I was ready for a drink by the time we left, but it was only 11am so I held off until lunch when I did go for a glass of wine. Good thing I never toyed with the idea of working with small children. I don't think I would have done too well.
Getting back to the party though, we were barely inside the classroom door when a cute little girl ran over and yelled, "Hi, Jax!" She grabbed his hand causing him to briefly freeze, but then Jax turned and tried to get away from her. Clearly, he likes playing hard to get. She was persistent though, and just followed him around the room until Ms. Stephanie ran over to get a picture, and after some pleading, Jax agreed to stand somewhat close to her.

I couldn't help but wonder where Rosie was and why she hadn't come over to beat up this girl that was trying to move in on her man. Maybe Rosie had moved on before I even got a chance to meet her. With that in mind, I thought I'd better try to get a picture too. No telling how long this new woman would last. As soon as I raised my camera to capture the moment, they kind of reversed roles. Jax seemed okay with having his picture taken, and she suddenly turned shy. I guess meeting the parents is kind of nerve-racking.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Baylor didn't miss out on the party. I asked Anh to keep his morning open because since I was attending the party in an official capacity as a volunteer, I knew I'd be too busy to also take care of Baylor. I think the whole scene must have been completely fascinating and overwhelming all at the same time for Baylor. He just kept scanning the room, trying to take everything in, and then he'd look at us with an expression that we both interpreted as, "You aren't leaving me here are you?"


Baylor was quite a hit with both the parents and the kids though, and eventually he seemed right at home amidst all the kids, and he helped himself to any of the toys that were within reach.


After the kids played for a bit, the official festivities began. Ms. Susan told all the kids to "go to their spot," and they all instantly formed a circle on the floor. I can only imagine how they managed to teach them this. I don't think they're allowed to smack them with rulers anymore so there must be a new scare tactic used or they beat them into submission. Kidding!


Ms. Susan read a Halloween story, and then all the kids sang the Mr. H song one last time before retiring it for next week's new letter. I was proud of how Jax participated and interacted with his little buddies. He was attentive to his teacher when he needed to be and was very polite and considerate of all the other kids. After witnessing the way some of the other kids behaved, I can say that without a doubt, I have a good kid.

After singing a couple more songs, the kids were sent to their desks to decorate cookies. This was the one time that I thought Jax might need to work on his listening skills. He just sat down and started eating his cookie while all the other kids were slathering on the icing and sprinkles. I went over and tried to show Jax how to do it, but that's when I realized he understood, he just wasn't interested. He was completely happy to eat the cookie plain.


While waiting for the sugar high from the cookie to kick in, the kids were told to once again go to their spots because the Costume Parade was about to begin. We all watched as the other classes paraded through our classroom, and then we followed the last group out to join in the fun. There were a few trick or treat stops along the route which added to the fun and continued the sugar high.

After the parade, the kids had another snack (how many snacks does a kid need during an hour & half party?) although this one was healthier, pretzels and veggies with ranch dip. By this point, I was wondering if any of the kids would even want to eat lunch which would immediately follow the party, but my curiosity was answered as we cleaned up the snack plates. I overheard one girl ask her dad, "What are we going to eat next? I'm still hungry!" I guess they really do need that many snacks. I've got kids at opposite ends of the spectrum, Jax who is anorexic and doesn't eat and Baylor who eats everything offered, so I'm not too familiar with how much normal kids eat.
Snack time turned into game time as the kids made their way around the classroom to different stations that involved crafts and games. I was in charge of the bean bag toss. The prize for hurling 3 bean bags through a ghost's mouth was 4 jelly bracelets. Nothing too thrilling, but the kids seemed to enjoy it. After completing the circuit, the party was officially over, and it happened not a moment too soon.
The kids were CRASHING down from their sugar high. Some were throwing tantrums because they didn't want to change out of their costumes. Others were wailing because they wanted candy from their confiscated treat bag, and a few were in tears because they wanted to leave with their mom or dad who was trying to sneak out without causing a scene. Again, I was proud of Jax. He had no issues whatsoever. He even tried consoling his buddy that was crying because his dad had left. What a good friend!
We told Jax good-bye and made our exit. It was a fun, but exhausting time. I honestly don't know how those teachers do it every single day. I'd lose my mind!
No comments:
Post a Comment