Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Issues

The boys have had some issues lately. Jax has somehow developed chronic nose bleeds. I now suspect they occur because his nose dries out overnight, but originally I was convinced they were a result of him picking his nose. Jax gets very upset about his nose bleeds, and rightfully so. He's a gusher. He'll wake up with one and run to my room for help. Jax isn't a kid that cries and complains when he's hurt or sick. He internalizes EVERYTHING. So to hear him say, "Mommy, I have a nose bleed" in a troubled tone, tells me that he's pretty upset.

The troubling thing is that once we get his nose to stop bleeding, it's only a matter of time until it happens again. He'll usually have at least one recurrence later in the day. I plan to set up a humidifier in his room to see if that will help, but I'm confused about why his nose could be drying out. I would expect it during the colder months when we run the heat (not that we use it much in Florida), but not while I have the air conditioning blasting. I guess air flow is air flow. Hopefully, the humidifier will help.

As for Baylor, he has developed a pretty severe case of Smiling Syndrome. The boy can't seem to stop smiling! He used to crack a smile with lots of pleading and prompting by his insane Mommy. He was stingy with them too, usually sharing them only with me early in the morning. Every now and then he'd smile at Daddy, but now he can't seem to control them. He just smiles at anyone for no reason! I guess if you're going to have a syndrome. This isn't a bad one to have. ; )

3 comments:

mandi said...

Meredith get's frequent nosebleeds too and they freak her out! Mainly when she wakes up, then she starts screaming and crying when she sees the blood an it takes forever to calm her down. Let me know if you find something that works. We have done the humidifier, but didn't really see a change.

Unknown said...

I used to get nosebleeds all the time when I was kid. I hope Jax didn't get it from me. More photos of smiling Baylor, please!

Anonymous said...

baylor is huge! as for the nosebleeds, I asked my pediatrician about that too last year. and she did not seem concerned at all...she just said the reason usually is because the kid is a nose picker.....! he'll grow out of it!