Monday, April 12, 2010

Mad Science

This weekend, we attended a birthday party for one of Jax's classmates. At this age, the kids are happy with a playground and, of course, cake. Well, Jax would probably be happy with a huge tub of icing since he pretty much licks his cake/cupcake clean of icing & then loses interest, but I'm sure you get my point. It doesn't take much to entertain a bunch of 5-year olds.So when Atom Ali from the Mad Science lab arrived to entertain the kids with her wacky science experiments, I had my doubts about whether she'd be able to capture and HOLD the kids' attention. I mean let's be honest, 5-year olds aren't exactly known for having impressive attention-spans. They're all sort of suffer from ADD, especially when there is a playground less than 5 feet away. I thought, "Uh oh! Wasted money!"However, I couldn't have been more wrong. Those of you that know me, know that's not a phrase you're likely to hear...well...ummmm...EVER. I was wrong though. The kids were absolutely fascinated by Ali's experiments. Shoot! Who am I kidding? The kids weren't the only ones intrigued. The parents were captivated as well! Sadly, we (the parents) were welcome to watch, but the hands-on fun was strictly for kids. No parents allowed!I'll admit it, I was jealous. I wanted to turn styrofoam cups into silly putty and don't even get me started on how much fun it would have been to launch rockets! That special honor was given to the birthday girl. The rest of the kids had a blast retrieving the rocket after it parachuted to the ground. Unfortunately, one was lost to the mighty grasp of a huge, old oak tree. Oh well! The squirrels have a new toy.Even Baylor hung on Ali's every word. I couldn't believe that she held his attention for the full hour. That's truly impressive! I think I see a Mad Science party in Baylor's future.This has to be the first party where the cake was Baylor's 2nd favorite thing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a cool idea for a children's party! I might just go if Baylor has one with a Mad Science theme...haha