Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Little Piece of Heaven

Another day, another day trip. This time, we were off to Salzburg, Austria! I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I can't wait to go back and explore more of Salzburg and eventually Vienna. To date, this is the city that I'd be most excited to call home. It is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!
Incredible little shops to explore along winding passageways...
European architecture at it's finest...
It's the sort of city where it's fun to get lost!
And eat lunch! Ha! This was the meal where we branched out of our comfort zones the most. Not because we were feeling particularly adventurous, but because while perusing the "English" menu, the translations proved to be a little off or shall we say mysterious. It's okay, the result wasn't bad. Just different than expected!
This is one of the most famous shopping streets in the world, and it's not hard to see why. It just exudes charm!
I really can't adequately describe how beautiful Salzburg is. Around every corner is a better and better postcard-perfect view.  It's a photographer's dream, and I don't even come close to doing it justice!
The Salzburg Cathedral sits at the center of the historic district in all it's grandeur. It's famous for being the site where Wolfgang Mozart was baptized.
Sadly, it was heavily damaged during World War II bombing, but the Cathdral's beauty was painstakingly restored by 1959.
It's hard to imagine such a peaceful site in ruins.
While exploring Salzburg, it's hard to miss the fortress on the hill. It looms over the town with an eery majesty. There are two routes to the top, an elevator and a hike. We chose the hike which resulted in my mom & dad jumping ship.
This was no stroll. It was quite an incline. I can see how they're able to command the high ticket price of the elevator. Regardless of your route to the top, it's worth the trek.
Hohensalzburg Castle is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe.

Every vantage point offers incredible vistas. You could exhaust your camera's battery here and fill countless memory cards. The views are that stunning. You can't help, but feel joy when taking it all in.

Wine & dessert definitely added to the joyous feeling!
We couldn't stop taking pictures! We wanted to capture this moment in time. Seriously, it was just perfect. The panoramic views, the temperature, the lighting, the vibe. You could see it written on everyone's faces with a goofy grin.
The same goofy grin was evidence that our parents had enjoyed their extended time exploring the passageways. Salzburg was a hit with the entire gang!
Before boarding the return train to Munich, we set out to enjoy the quintessential Austrian meal at the Hotel Sacher which is famous for the Sacher torte. It lives up to the hype! That's all I'll say. Go & enjoy! You won't regret it!
Again, I'm a broken record here, but this was such a memorable day. I can't wait to go back! It surely will be a different experience because you can't duplicate what we experienced that day, but you can try.

No comments: