Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Birthday to Remember

Having the freedom to wake up and hop on a train that will whisk you away to new charming town to explore is nothing short of incredible! On day 7, we decided to explore Regensburg, a lovely little town situated on the Danube River.
I'm not certain my pictures really do these cities justice. While some of the architecture is similar, each of the towns has their own unique feeling. As we rode the trains to and from our destination, we would thumb through my guide books and decide on an adventure for the following day. It wasn't easy! The options are numerous. As much as we enjoyed Munich, I think the smaller towns were much more memorable. I guess I'm really a small town girl.
For lunch, we decided to try Wurstkuchl, the world's oldest sausage kitchen. They've been grilling up their famous finger-sized sausages since 1135. You don't maintain that kind of longevity by serving up tourist slop. I'm far from a sausage fan (Yes, that's a funny statement.), but I sampled my fair share during our trip. These were by far the best, in my opinion.
Regensburg is possibly one of the towns that gets overlooked when planning itineraries throughout the region, and that's really a shame because it's delightful. It's the sort of town where you could really get comfortable and lay down roots.
We returned to Munich in time for a lovely birthday dinner. Oh, did I fail to mention it was my birthday? It was my special day, and I'm not certain I'll be able to top it any time in the near future. I guess there's no harm in trying though!

No comments: