Wednesday, March 28, 2012

LegoLand ATL

The boys have developed a bit of an obsession with Legos recently. So when I heard that a brand new LegoLand Discovery Center was opening in Atlanta, I knew we would have to go. To say my kiddos were excited would be a gross understatement!
Having never been to a LegoLand before, we didn't know what to expect. Atlanta's LegoLand Discovery Center is much smaller than the LegoLand theme park in California, but that doesn't mean it's any less entertaining. We spent the better part of a day there and thought nothing unusual of it until we completed the exit survey and had to check a box indicating the amount of time we spent at the center. The box we checked was for 2+ hours. We were there FIVE!
I guess it's because there was so much to see. Like the cityscape of Atlanta constructed entirely out of Legos, obviously! All of the major landmarks were represented. Labeling it impressive just doesn't cut it! It was honestly AMAZING, and we even met the Master Builder (his actual job title) responsible for designing and building everything constructed from Legos in the entire center. He won a contest and was awarded the job. I wanted so badly to ask how much they pay him, but I resisted. At least I can rest assured that my boys might one day earn a paycheck for playing with their Legos.
Perimeter Center, Fox Theatre, & the Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Dome - Home of the Atlanta Falcons
Turner Field - Home of the Atlanta Braves
Stone Mountain Park
CNN Center
A crane that I can only imagine represents the ever-present construction in downtown Atlanta. Scattered throughout the cityscape were opportunities to control various components in the city. You could drive the MARTA trains, control the crane and gondola, scan between CNN television cameras located throughout the city, control the athletes in the stadium, and so much more!
The Discovery Center even has two rides! The boys were in heaven!
Especially when Jaxon and Baylor discovered they could build & race their own Lego cars! The boys' first creations were very "imaginative," but eventually Jax and Baylor realized that simpler usually meant faster. Who knew! I also put in an honest effort to construct a vehicle, but let's just say it's a good thing I didn't pursue an engineering degree in college. I wouldn't have made the cut!
The playground was also a pretty popular spot with the kids. You could run through a maze of climbing walls and slides, and there were large foam Legos scattered throughout for building whatever your imagination could dream.
You know what they say about dreaming...Dream BIG!!! Baylor was crowned King and there was even a throne constructed for him!
However, the real fun came from destruction in the form of a wrecking ball...a human wrecking ball!!!
Luckily, the experience wasn't all about brute force. Jaxon and Baylor had the opportunity to use their noggins and improve their building skills thanks to the construction classes. Our class focused on construction techniques that would result in structures that can withstand the weight of an adult.
So, the 40-50 lb Jaxon and Baylor test was a piece of cake!
The real test came with the "real world" application of their new construction skills. We were challenged to build a Lego skyscraper that would be capable of withstanding an earthquake. Okay...I had my doubts that Jaxon and Baylor could master this challenge.
BUT, they proved me wrong! I better double-up on the college savings account deposits. Engineering degrees won't be cheap.
As I shared before, Anh and I were completely unaware of exactly how much time had passed, but we knew it was getting late and that rush hour traffic in Atlanta isn't pleasant. So, we told the boys that there was time to run a few more races, but then we'd have to be on our way. Surprisingly, Jax and Baylor weren't too disappointed. Maybe the gift shop exit helped ease the pain...
or maybe it was just that our little engineers were EXHAUSTED. Yep, I'd say it was the latter. Both Jax and Baylor were asleep before we exited the parking garage. Success! A great experience for all!

No comments: