We started our day with a ROAR at T-Rex Cafe. We had planned to eat there the previous night, but formulated a new game plan when the hostess explained that there was a 3-HOUR WAIT for parties of 4. That pretty much ruled out our party of 13! Actually, when we wandered into the restaurant on Sunday, our expectations of actually eating there weren't high. We figured that once again the wait would be ridiculous, but to our surprise, they were able to seat us immediately. Apparently, the night before had been so crazy that people were passing out from the heat they had to endure during the wait. I guess that turned them off to returning the next day. Score for us!
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Livin' the Dream
On Sunday, before parting ways, we all headed to Downtown Disney for the day. It seemed like a good way to spend our last few hours together. The adventure would serve as a warm-up for our friends who were spending the week at Disney World, and it would give Baylor and Jax a little dose of Disney magic without actually forcing Anh and I to endure the Disney craziness in 100+ degree heat. A win-win for everyone involved!
We started our day with a ROAR at T-Rex Cafe. We had planned to eat there the previous night, but formulated a new game plan when the hostess explained that there was a 3-HOUR WAIT for parties of 4. That pretty much ruled out our party of 13! Actually, when we wandered into the restaurant on Sunday, our expectations of actually eating there weren't high. We figured that once again the wait would be ridiculous, but to our surprise, they were able to seat us immediately. Apparently, the night before had been so crazy that people were passing out from the heat they had to endure during the wait. I guess that turned them off to returning the next day. Score for us!
Baylor loved the life-like dinosaurs, but he didn't want to get too close. I guess he hasn't quite figured out real vs. make-believe. Have any of us, really?

After lunch, we made a Lego pit stop and built some race "cars." I use that term loosely because these vehicles didn't resemble cars at all, aside from the 4 wheels. Each child used a different strategy in their design. Some went minimal thinking lighter might equal faster. 
Others built massive clunkers based on the theory that gravity would pull their car down the sloped race track at a faster speed.
Some just built contraptions that they considered cool and hoped for the best. Some how, everyone was a winner at least once!


Continuing with the racing theme, our last stop was Ridemakerz, a spin-off of the Build-a-Bear concept based on cars & trucks. It was awesome AND expensive once the boys' had customized their rides with every accessory offered, but I think the experience was worth every penny. Anh agreed, but said we wouldn't be planning a trip back unless Grandfather was footing the bill.
The process was fairly simple. You start by choosing your vehicle body and tires, and there was an impressive selection. Hence, Anh's fear that we may have to return one day and repeat the pricey experience. Although, in defense of the store, they really did have options to suit every price range. I just happened to be in "vacation mode" that day and let my boys go crazy.
After selecting your body, you choose your suspension, street or monster. Both Jax and Baylor chose street. Again, I see a return visit and a monster truck in our future. Your 4th decision could be your most expensive, you must decide whether you want to add a motor and turn the vehicle into an R/C car. That's a $25 decision. Chose wisely is all I can really say, and that doesn't necessarily mean cheap. I subscribe to the, "What's the point if there's no motor?" thought process. Anh didn't, but he was clearly in the minority.
After assembling your vehicle which involves the use of a drill (Baylor's favorite part of the experience), it's time to accessorize! The boys chose hood scoops, spoilers, exhaust pipes, rims, and stickers. Yeah, all that added up quick!
When the process was said & done, we had racked up a grand total of $150 for two cars. Yeah, I know! That's crazy, but what's even crazier is that I can't wait to do it again! If I win the lottery, I'm seriously booking a birthday party there. Anh was convinced that the boys would lose interest in these cars after a day or two, but so far they're still a hit. We made some memories, and honestly, that's priceless or so they say!

We started our day with a ROAR at T-Rex Cafe. We had planned to eat there the previous night, but formulated a new game plan when the hostess explained that there was a 3-HOUR WAIT for parties of 4. That pretty much ruled out our party of 13! Actually, when we wandered into the restaurant on Sunday, our expectations of actually eating there weren't high. We figured that once again the wait would be ridiculous, but to our surprise, they were able to seat us immediately. Apparently, the night before had been so crazy that people were passing out from the heat they had to endure during the wait. I guess that turned them off to returning the next day. Score for us!
Labels:
Anh,
Aunt Kelly,
Baylor,
Family Adventures,
Friends,
Jax,
Lees,
Shannon,
Travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment