Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mardi Gras Madness

Laissez les bons temps rouler! Let the good times roll! When you have 3 small children, making the 8 hour drive to New Orleans isn't always a possibility. Although, it never seemed to stop my parents! It's the memories from those childhood road trips to Grandma's house during Mardi Gras that inspire me to pass the tradition and spirit on to our boys. This year, we hosted the largest celebration yet!We put together a pretty fabulous spread, if I do say so myself. A little bit of Cajun heaven on a plate!
We started the party with a signature cocktail...
And then enjoyed a few Hurricanes...always a crowd favorite!
I tried my hand at praline making, and after a few batches discovered the perfect process. Sorry, I'm not sharing that info. I've developed my first secret family recipe!
The only disappointment on the menu was the crawfish. We had to settle for frozen, and any true Cajun knows that's just wrong. We viewed them as more of a table decoration than a part of the buffet.
Thankfully, the spicy crab dip was a hit.
As was my crawfish pie which is now another secret family recipe.
I borrowed Grandfather's muffaletta recipe which is second only to The Central Grocery in the Quarter.
Oh, and then there was my gumbo. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was fabulous. Others agreed! I hope & pray that when I make it a second time that it turns out just as amazing. That will become my signature dish!
My friend brought us the prettiest red velvet Mardi Gras cake ever! While not necessarily Cajun, it is Southern. So that counts!
And, it wouldn't be a true Mardi Gras party without king cake! We always bought ours from MacKenzie's or Gambino's Bakery, but I tried something new. Nonna Randozzo's Italian bakery in Covington has some incredible online reviews. I decided to take a chance, and boy oh boy, they did not disappoint! Yummy!
Our friend Scott found the baby and seemed a bit apprehensive when I explained that he was on the hook to host the next party. Everyone knows where he lives. I suspect he feared that 30+ people were going to show up at his house the following weekend!
By the end of the evening, we had shared good food and great times with fabulous friends while passing along some treasured traditions. I repeat...Laissez les bons temps rouler! They certainly did!

No comments: