Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gimme a Roar

Sometimes things just don't go according to plan...which can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstances. Take today for example. I had grand plans to spend the entire day baking tasty sugary Holiday treats that we could share with friends and co-workers, and from what I could tell, Anh's plans consisted of playing the role of "taste tester" and watching football on TV. So, I knew something was up when Anh jumped up from the couch, took off for the bedroom, and minutes later came bounding into the kitchen completely showered, dressed, and with his socks and shoes in hand.

As Anh tied his shoes he explained, "G texted me and offered me his tickets to the game. Can you get the boys ready while I meet him to pick up the tickets?" I paused as my brain processed the new game plan for the day and then promised to have the boys ready by the time Anh returned. Anh raced out the door as I rushed to get the boys showered, dressed, and pumped up for the game. As soon as I had the boys decked out in all their gear and their team footballs in hand, I received a text from Anh with the bad news...G only handed over 2 tickets not the 4 that he's offered us in the past. Uh oh! Anh said he accepted the tickets gratefully, but that he wasn't planning to go anymore because he couldn't leave one of the boys behind.

I could sense Anh's disappointment, and my heart sort of sank as I thought about telling Jaxon & Baylor who were at that very moment bouncing off the walls with excitement to be heading to the stadium with dad for another game that there had been a change in plans...or should I say ANOTHER change in plans. Then, I had an idea. I asked the boys, "What if only one of you went to the game with Daddy and the other went with Mommy to Toys 'R Us?" Baylor said, "No." with a sad face. Jaxon, however, asked me, "Is the one that goes to Toys 'R Us going to get something?" Gee...always thinking that Jaxon! I nodded and said, "I guess we could look and see if there is anything special." Jaxon immediately blurted out, "Baylor can go to the game with Daddy!" Great! Problem solved. Wrong. Baylor looked at me and said, "I want to go with Jax." Great! Now, nobody wanted to go with Anh! That was not the solution I was aiming for!

Needless to say, this was not how I saw my day going! I had planned to spend my day relaxing & baking, but I was now headed to Toys 'R Us during the peak of Christmas shopping season. Yeah...that was definitely not the stress free day I had envisioned, and something told me that while Anh would go alone to the game, he would rather share the experience with somebody...anybody...especially one of his boys. Luckily, Baylor was easily convinced to accompany his dad to the game. I simply had to remind him of all the fun we had during their first Jags game earlier in the season. Okay, the problem truly was solved at that point. Anh arrived and his frown was immediately turned upside down when I explained the latest plan.

If only the story ended there! As soon as Jaxon and I entered Toys 'R Us, I received another text from Anh explaining that they had paid to park and made their way to the stadium's entrance gate where he discovered that G had given him 2 tickets to LAST WEEK'S GAME! What?!?! Not knowing what else to do, Anh spent the $30 he had left on 2 scalper tickets in the nosebleed section. At least Baylor who was by this point chanting, "Go Jag-u-wars!" wouldn't be disappointed. He wouldn't care that he wasn't sitting in the private club section on the 50-yard line 5 rows from the field. Nope, all he cared about was going to the game.

Then as fate would have it, Anh crossed paths with another friend/colleague after entering the stadium. D was also at the game with 1 of his 2 sons and upon hearing Anh's story about the ticket confusion, laughed and offered up his two extra seats in the club section. Obviously, Anh accepted and imagine his shock when he discovered they were sitting in the FRONT ROW on the 50-yard line! Obviously, this outing was meant to be! One way or another fate was granting Anh and Baylor this experience, and this is why despite being type-A planners at heart, we try our best to just go with the flow...because you just never know what life has in store for you on any given Sunday!

No comments: