Last Friday, we called to schedule Jaxon's cardiology appointment, and the good news was that they were able to schedule us for first thing Monday morning. So, this morning, I was a little nervous, but overall, I wasn't too worried because I really believed that this was just another occasion where we'd be facing a health scare that would turn out to be absolutely nothing.
We arrived on time, but had to wait quite a while before finally being called back. The nurse took his height and weight, and it appears that the nutritional shakes are working because Jax gained a pound and grew an inch since his appointment with Dr. N two weeks ago. Although when you think about it, an inch in 2 weeks is kind of unlikely. A more plausible explanation is that Jax was probably slouching at Dr. N's office.
Within a couple of minutes, another nurse came into the exam room and hooked Jax up to the EKG machine. I don't know what I was expecting, but the EKG only took like 2 seconds. It took the nurse longer to attach all the little sticker probes and wires to Jax, than it took to administer the actual test. Anh glanced at the printout, but didn't really say anything. I assumed he didn't see anything worth commenting on.
Next, the cardiologist, Dr. E, came in to examine Jax and discuss the results of the EKG. We explained that up until now Jax has been an issue-free, healthy kid that showed no symptoms of a lurking medical problem. Dr. N told us that the only reason she referred us to see a cardiologist is because Jax is on the smaller side and given that she does still detect the murmur, it could be an indicator of a problem.
Knowing that Anh is a physician, Dr. E asked whether Anh had looked at the results of the EKG. Anh nodded, and Dr. E asked with a concerned expression, "Then you know it indicates the potential of a (insert big medical term here)?" Anh nodded. Dr. E explained that he wanted to perform an echo-cardiogram to better assess the situation. Then, he left us waiting FOREVER. During that time, Anh explained in simple English that the EKG indicated that 1 of the chambers of Jax's heart was enlarged which could indicate a hole between 2 of the chambers. So for the rest of the intolerably long wait, I sat there picturing all of the horrible possibilities associated with open heart surgery.
FINALLY, the tech called us back for the echo. She was very thorough and checked everything from his abdomen to his neck. Towards the end, Dr. E came in to take a look for himself and update us on the situation. It turns out that everything is okay. To put it mildly, WHAT A FREAKIN' RELIEF! I meant it when I said I wasn't worried prior to the appointment, but after the EKG my worry level shot through the roof. I knew that the situation warranted being worried too because Anh is Mr. "Oh take some ibuprofen and everything will be fine" and even he looked concerned.
As it turns out, thank God, my mother's intuition was correct. Kids just like to stir up a little drama from time to time to make sure that we love them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
OMG, Shannon, I started crying as soon as I read Anh's reaction ... thank God everything is OK. That was terrifying to read, it must've been excruciating to experience.
Awww, Jennifer, I was pretty much fighting the tears as soon as I saw the cardiologist's worried expression because docs are usually so careful not to show emotion. I think he was fearing the worst too.
Thank God everyone was wrong! The tech looked at Jax's heart from possible angle and saw absolutely nothing. I'm not sure a breathed in between the EKG & the end of the echo. But, all that matters is that we all walked out of the appointment smiling.
glad it all turned out ok!
When are we going to see you guys?!
Stephanie
Such good news! I was worried.
Post a Comment