Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Creepy Crawlies

Despite my good intentions, Baylor will not be having a big party to celebrate turning 3. "Why?" you might ask. Well, because apparently there was a freakin' baby boom during the month of May three years ago, and everybody and their dog had a child! As a result, we have been attending party after party after party over the last week weekends, and that didn't leave time or the opportunity to host one of our own. Don't worry, Baylor, I will send out invites for your 4th birthday in February 2012. That should secure a time slot for you!

Luckily, Baylor doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that he's getting screwed out of being the center of attention for a couple of hours. Maybe it's because Baylor commands attention 24/7 regardless of whether it's his birthday or not. I, however, feel a sense of guilt that we weren't able to pull off a party for him. Oh well, we'll go all out next year. There, I said it! I'm committed. Hold me to it!

There was only one incident at one party that even indicated Baylor knew what he was missing. As his buddy Joseph blew out the candles on "his" birthday cake, Baylor started to cry and complained, "I didn't get to blow!" Sooooo sorry, kiddo! Sometimes life isn't fair. Thankfully, the party's entertainer distracted Baylor from that low point with his furry, slimey, and scaley friends. Baylor was fascinated by the collection of lizards, turtles, ferrets, rabbits, and snakes. Me...not so much, but I appreciated that the critters kept their distance from me. Although, I almost had to make a hasty exit when the handler joked about a snake being on the loose. That's just not funny!
Baylor giggled as each new animal/reptile emerged from his container and was incorporated into a complex tale the handler was telling. All I remember of the story was the main character, a lizard. The lizard stomped around telling all of the other animals, "I'm big. I'm bad, and I'm mean!!!" Apparently, he was exactly the opposite. So, it's sort of fitting that Baylor walks around now repeating, "I'm big! I'm bad, and I'm mean!" Well, at least one of the adjectives fits on any given day.Baylor was truly mesmorized by the creatures, but Jax was the brave one that volunteered to actually handle the largest snake. To my delight, he was assigned the tail rather than the head. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle the reverse. It was creepy enough watching the snake twist his tail around Jaxon's little hand!
The biggest relief came at the end of the show when I asked the boys which animal was their favorite. Both exclaimed, "The bunny!" Whew!!! Bunnies I can handle. A future request for a lizard or snake is one huge nightmare. Maybe my boys are more like me than I care to admit?

No comments: