Monday, March 28, 2011

Tales From the Backseat

This weekend, the entire family loaded up and set out for the bright lights of Hotlanta, otherwise known as The ATL or BaBa's house. Well, I spent several hours wedged between the boys' booster seats in the second row because it was Aunt Nguyen's turn in the driver's seat, and Anh continues to argue that he gets motion sickness in the back seat. I think he's just continuing some tale he told during childhood to take permanent possession of the front seat. Anyhow, Aunt Nguyen suffered through a few hours seated between the boys who are surprisingly high maintenance in the car. Okay! Okay! It's really not all that surprising, but one would think that the radio, DVD player, Nintendo DS, and iPhones would provide plenty of distraction and at least a bit of entertainment. I guess harassing the person next to you is just more fun! So sensing that Aunt Nguyen was reaching her breaking point, I offered to switch places. She gladly accepted!

The backseat turned out to be highly entertaining. I'll share my favorite conversation from the journey up & back. One the way there, 5 1/2 hours into the 6 hour road trip, Baylor promptly announced that he didn't want to visit BaBa. Nevermind the fact that he had talked about going to BaBa's house ALL day long even throwing a tantrum at one point because we weren't leaving for BaBa's house after picking Jaxon up from school. My explanation that we needed to wait for Daddy and Aunt Nguyen to get off work because they wanted to join us was completely UNACCEPTABLE! Nope, with only minutes until our arrival, Baylor wanted to go home. Sorry, kid! Luckily, he got over it as soon as be saw BaBa. Of course, Baylor wanted to be showered with attention. He just didn't appreciate the extra long car ride that was required.

On the way home, a police car with it's lights flashing and siren wailing goes flying past us. Aunt Nguyen who was driving at the time said, "Whew! I thought they were after me, but I really wasn't going that fast." I jokingly said to Baylor, "I thought they were after you because you're such a bad boy." Baylor didn't miss a beat and shouted back, "No, they're after you!" Of course Jaxon had to chime in and said, "They're after Baylor because he stole something from their office." I looked at Baylor in time to see him nodding his head as he proudly muttered, "Yep!" Ummmmm...What?!

No comments: