Monday, September 13, 2010

Routine

Things are going well lately. Yes, I realize that I've just broken a cardinal rule by making that statement and undoubtedly the world as I know it will now self-destruct! I just felt the need to share that we have things under control...not perfect, but definitely manageable. We have a morning routine in place, and for the most part it runs smoothly. We have only missed the bus that one time and really that wasn't our fault. How were we supposed to know that the bus driver follows her own schedule not the one dictated by the school system?

Of course, we are doing our best to keep it real. We don't want anyone to have the false illusion that we are perfect. Anh and I are far from Ward & June Cleaver. Jax sets a fine example for the family at the bus stop with his nice clothes and brushed hair. Hopefully, no one is looking at me too closely. Otherwise, they'll notice that my hair really wasn't brushed, but quickly pulled up into a ponytail as an effort to disguise how awful it looks or that my clothes are wrinkled because I grabbed them off the floor and threw them on after devoting all of my time to getting Jax up, dressed, fed, and out the door on time. Clearly, I'm not a morning person.

Oh, and hopefully no one noticed last week as Baylor waddled down the sidewalk behind me in only his diaper and a t-shirt rather than listen when I told him to wait at the front door while I walked his brother to the bus stop. Nope, he just decided to be stealth and follow behind at a distance. Yeah, hopefully no one saw that! There goes my Mother of the Year Award!

As you can tell, I've got the morning routine nailed. Ha! So, why not move on to improving the afternoon. Picking Jax up from school actually seems like a breeze compared to what it takes to send him off in the morning. The teachers and safety patrol do all the real work. I simply have to be patient while waiting in the pickup line with the other parents. The biggest test is pretending that I don't want to strangle the mom who can't figure out that she's holding up traffic because (1) she's too busy yapping on her cell phone to realize that the line is moving, but her car isn't or (2) because she doesn't trust her elementary-aged child to fasten their own seat belt. Really?!? If they can't buckle their own belt, then at least get out of the car and do it for them quickly. This is not the time to chat up the teachers standing nearby. Trust me they're smiling at you, but they're probably thinking the same ugly thoughts as every other parent in line behind you!

So, yes, I have everything under control. Seems like the perfect time to incorporate some new extracurricular activities?! Starting this week, Jax is scheduled to take tennis lessons on Mondays & Thursdays, Playball (covers a variety of sports lessons) on Wednesdays, and golf lessons on Fridays. Actually, we started the golf lessons two weeks ago, but this week will be the first full week of activities. Wish us luck! Maybe I should say, "Wish me luck." Jax is gonna do great!

No comments: