Friday, October 16, 2009

Clever

I know I joke a lot that our boys "aren't the brightest" kids in the world, but I hope everyone (especially them when they're older & can read the blog) understands I'm kidding. I seriously have no idea whether they're average, above-average, or geniuses. What I do know is that they certainly aren't dumb or clueless. They are quite the opposite.

Both Jaxon & Baylor are clever, and clever pretty much goes hand-in-hand with mischievous. It's that little bit of knowledge that sets off my "Mom Alarm" anytime the house is quiet. Quiet is almost always a bad, bad sign, and it means I better drop everything and check on what they're doing. Now, since pretty much every parent believes their child is destined to become the next Bill Gates or Bobby Fischer, allow me to present the latest examples of just how "clever" my own boys can be.

Recently, while strolling through an expo hall packed with booths, we were all handed free samples of Skinny Cow Truffle Bars. These ice cream bars are pretty much a staple in our freezer because they're diet-friendly. So, Baylor was well aware of the delicious treats that were being handed out and squealed with delight as we approached the table. Actually, the squeal was probably his way of saying, "You better not dare try to cheat me out of a bar!"

Anh handed Baylor a french vanilla bar, and Baylor's face lit up with excitement. That is until he realized that Anh had selected a chocolate bar for himself. Baylor squealed and pointed at Anh's bar, motioning that he wanted it. Now, Anh had purposefully chosen vanilla for Baylor, thinking that the vanilla was less likely to stain his clothing. With each passing second, it was becoming clearer and clearer that Baylor was not going to miss out on tasting a chocolate bar.

Trying to limit the damage, Anh took a few bites of the bar, and then exchanged the half-eaten chocolate bar for Baylor's untouched vanilla. Well, my friends, Baylor is no dummy. He understands the concept of whole vs. half, and he was not happy to be receiving the short end of the stick. In the end, Baylor was allowed to hold both bars, but he graciously offered Anh occasional lick of each. Wise and generous, a great combination.

I don't know why I'm surprised that Baylor is so "bright." It runs in the family. For example, Jax has the memory of an elephant. The kid never forgets...ever! He clearly remembers events and stories from when he was 2. This is impressive to me because I can't remember anything. That's why I make endless lists and the primary reason I started the blog. So, I won't forget all the funny little things that happen on a day-to-day basis.

The other day, Jax asked me, "Mom, do you remember when I that boy stole my hat?" I had no idea what he was talking about. Obviously, I didn't remember. I asked, "What boy?" Jax gave me that oh so familiar "Come on, Mom" look, and said, "That boy at my old school. The one that took my golf hat." Oh yeah! I remembered! That was soooo long ago. He had just started 2-year old preschool, and one of the little boys in his class was jealous of Jax's Masters hat that he wore every day to school. The boy's parents eventually got him a cap of his own so he'd leave Jax's alone.

Maybe Jax only remembers events that he found troubling. He often brings up the time we had to change the Jeep's tire on the side of the road. We got a flat on the way down to the Keys in 2007. Jax would have been 2 then. Even if it is the "trauma" that makes him remember, the fact that he remembers so many things from age 2 amazes me. We're talking approximately 3 years ago. That's more than half his life!

However, there is one area where Jax struggles with his memory, and that's names. Jax doesn't seem to remember names. Actually, I'm not sure if it's that he doesn't remember or if it's that he never bothers to learn them in the first place. Either way, it's an area that needs improvement, but since he's a budding genius, it shouldn't take him long to remedy.

1 comment:

Grandfather said...

I spent the weekend with the boys and Jax is the same. Baylor has truly grown and is self motivated and mobile. He sees something once and immediately has it fiqured out. At one outlet mall he was running around the fountain knowing I was chasing to catch him. He awas half way around the fountain and he stopped and smiled. I know he was thinking "Come on old man catch me if you can!" I doubled back to cut him off from the front but he went wide and used a bush to keep away.

At breakfast this morning Grandmother did something that caused him to raise his eyes, while keeping his head down to keep eating his donut, and gave her the strangest stare that we interpreted as, "What the hell are you thinking?" Oh, he immediately recognizes a Duncan Donut box.