Saturday, February 9, 2013

Character Counts

When debating what to do on a beautiful, balmy February day, playing in a giant hamster ball isn't the first thing that comes to mind. However, sometimes it's best to embrace the unexpected! Participating in the inaugural 3K/6K Character Counts race benefiting our new school, has been on the calendar for weeks. We just didn't realize it would become a full-day affair with such a wide variety of activities. First up, the hamster wheels. The boys made it look easy. I didn't dare try it myself. I need to be able to show my face around the school for several more years.

Now, hold on to your stomachs. Booger Wars was up next! Similar to football, but you throw beanbag boogers to your team mates that must be crammed up your goal's nostril. Oh yes, it was delightful to watch. It's probably best that Booger Wars followed the hamster balls. I would hate to imagine the reverse. The inside of the hamster ball could get messy after all that visual imagery.
By comparison, laser tag seemed mild! The boys ran themselves silly, and I worried they wouldn't have any gas left for the actual race.

The turnout was impressive. It's great to know that we have so many active and involved families supporting our new school. It really demonstrates that we have a caring network of parents that appreciate what an asset the school is for our children and the community as a whole.
We elected to run the 3K. I used the excuse of the children not being able to complete a 6K, but I'm fairly certain I would have been the one laying down in the middle of the road crying in misery had we decided to attempt the 6K.  That distance will have to remain a bucket list item for now. One day...
The boys really gave it their all. We gave Jaxon permission to run ahead of us rather than crush his competitive spirit by forcing him to wait for us slow pokes. Aunt Kelly was supposed to try to keep him within her eyesight, but even she proved to be no match for our little speed demon. Baylor really pushed himself through to the finish line. At times, he was definitely dragging, but the strategic placement of cute cheerleaders really worked to our advantage. Just when we would resign ourselves to carrying Grant so we could load Baylor into the stroller, cheerleaders would magically appear on the sidelines and boost Baylor's spirit. Yep, he's all boy!


Jaxon crossed the finish line and greeted us with a smug grin as we finally jogged his way a good 10+ minutes later.  What can I say? We can only do better in the future. Well, unless we decide to sit and have a picnic lunch along the way.



In the end, we were all still smiling! Well, until we realized we still had a long walk home!

No comments: