Up, up, and away we went to check out Heavenly Ski Resort and the panoramic views of Lake Tahoe from the observation deck. The gondola ride was quite an adventure. Sure, you just have to sit back and relax while taking in the scenery, but I wouldn't suggest it if you're at all squeamish when it comes to heights. Luckily, we aren't. At least, not completely. On a windier day, with the gondola rocking maybe I wouldn't say the same.
The view from the top is most certainly worth the steep ride and even steeper gondola ticket! It's a good thing the kids were free. Otherwise, we might have passed on this little adventure which would have meant...Missing out on these views!!!! Seriously AMAZING! Simply Amazing! The pictures do not do the landscape justice. We could have stayed there all day just soaking up the beauty. The hundreds of chipmunk's scurrying about were also pretty entertaining. I'd say they dine quite nicely on the crumbs left behind by the tourists that frequent the snack bar on the observation deck.
The observation deck is located approximately half way up the mountain. So, we boarded the gondola once again to complete the ride to the top where we discovered that you can have fun at a ski resort without snow. The resort had a rock climbing wall, an elaborate jungle gym-type play structure and tubing run set up for the Summer season. Talk about fun!!!
Grant and I took a front row seat and watched as Anh and Baylor rode the conveyor belt to the top of the run and raced down on the inner tubes. A ticket equalled 3 runs. To my surprise, Baylor made the first run all by himself. Sadly, he didn't get the full experience because his weight didn't allow him to build up the speed to make it all the way to the end of the run. Anh convinced him, to tether the two tubes together so they could go faster for the 2nd and 3rd run. Woo hoo! I was definitely jealous that I was sitting this one out.
By now, you're probably wondering where the rest of the gang was during our little side excursion. Don't feel too badly that they missed out on the tubing experience because they were actually trail riding on horseback. Baylor and Grant didn't meet the age requirement. So, we made our own adventure! I'm sure horseback riding was a blast, but I definitely think we made the most of our time alone. Baylor didn't seem to feel slighted, and that's all that matters.
That evening, the group reunited and made the drive to Zephyr Cove to watch the sunset. Then, we strolled the streets of downtown South Lake Tahoe. We traded stories from the day's adventures and marveled at how we had already accomplished so much on our vacation, and yet, we still had so much to look forward to!
No comments:
Post a Comment