Thursday, July 5, 2012

6 Months


You're supposed to celebrate your baby's milestones, but today is a little bittersweet. Baby Grant is 6 months old! I'm sorry, but it just seems too soon. Our baby is growing up waaaay too fast. Don't even get me started on his big brothers!


We won't dwell on the negative. Instead, let's focus on all the wonderful things that Grant has accomplished in the last month.

- As you already know, Grant has his first tooth and seems to be diligently working away on his second.

- Having mastered sitting on his own, Grant is showing interest in being mobile. When laying on his belly, he tries to propel himself forward. Unfortunately, he hasn't figured out that he'd have more success if he kept his hands & feet in contact with the floor. To compensate, Grant has learned to roll across the floor to reach whatever object has peaked his interest.

- Grant has now sampled just about every fruit & vegetable that is available. The only item on the menu that he doesn't care for are pureed bananas.

- Grant has slept in his crib exactly once. He went down without an issue on our first attempt to introduce him to the nursery, but on the second night, Grant put up a protest. That's okay. We eagerly welcomed back into the pack & play in our room because we spent the better part of the day discussing how we had missed him the previous night.

- We've reached that lovely age when babies begin grabbing at things. I have to be especially mindful of what is within Grant's reach when we're shopping. I really hate that moment when you discover a store clerk is a fan of that whole "You break it, you buy it." philosophy.

- It may be a figment of my imagination, but I believe Grant has said his first word, "Hi!" He says, "Hi!" when you walk up to his pack & play after he's woken up from his nap. It could just be a noise he makes, but given that we're in the habit of telling him, "Hi!" when we see him, maybe it's not just coincidence.

As for Grant's height & weight, any guesses? Okay, I won't keep you in suspense. Grant weighs 17 lbs, 14 oz which puts him in the 75 percentile, and he's delightfully average when it comes to his 26 inch height. That qualifies as 50th percentile. Sounds about right to me since he's currently wearing 9-12 month clothing. Yes, our littlest man is growing up at a rate I'm not entirely thrilled about, but at least I know he'll always be my Baby Grant. Size and age don't matter!

No comments: