Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother Knows Best

Yes, Mother does indeed know best. I know what my 4 boys like and what they don't. I appreciated all the effort they went through last year to spoil me on Mother's Day, but I accepted and even embraced my fate this year. We spent the day together enjoying The Players Championship at Sawgrass. When the testosterone outnumbers you 4:1, you really shouldn't fight it. A golf tournament is way more our speed than a tea party.
Of course, it's hard to believe that this little fella' was BREAKING NEWS and one heck of present for me last year. How many women actually find out they're expecting on Mother's Day?
Oh my, and to say that Grant was a hit at TPC would be an understatement. Actually, I felt sort of like a walking spectacle. People weren't subtle about pointing our family out and making comments. Either they thought my boys were cute or we were mistaken all day for some celebrity golfer's family?
The comments and attention peaked when Jaxon and Baylor took their turns at the various hands-on exhibits. Take for example this virtual golf competition. The boys lined up for their turn with all of the other much older men. One group of guys let them skip in line because they didn't want to miss seeing the boys show off their skills. With all that attention, I was a bit nervous that the boys might feel pressured or shy...WRONG! They both stepped right up and drove the golf ball down that virtual hole with expertise! The crowd went wild! I confessed that they both take weekly lessons and the crowd seemed very impressed. Fingers crossed that some golf scholarships are in their future!
Little Grant was happy to play the role of sidekick this year, but something tells me that he'll expect to take a turn driving the ball next year. Grant is already on a mission to prove that he can do anything his big brothers can. He studies their every move on and off the course.
I just hope that Jaxon and Baylor don't follow in their "idol's" footsteps...Tiger Woods...at least, not his off-course extramarital footsteps. Thankfully, Anh is doing his best to introduce Jaxon and Baylor to some of the new, younger stars on the course. Fingers crossed that someone steals their admiration!
I have no doubt that a lot of women would be annoyed to spend Mother's Day on the golf course especially if they don't golf. In the end, "my day" was ultimately all about Jaxon, Baylor, and Grant. Of course, isn't that part of being a mother? So, my day was truly perfect.

No comments: