Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Adventure Continues

Not only is a blog entry long overdue, but it's time for another Adventures in Potty-Training update. So, as the title implies, we're still working on it much to my disgust. Baylor, on the other hand, is quite content to sit around in his own shit ALL day long! As of a few weeks ago, Baylor had actually started lying about whether he had to go potty, and even worse, he wouldn't tell you if he had an accident. Baylor even started crying and would throw his hands up shouting, "No! No! No!" if you were walking towards him to put him on the potty or to change his soiled diaper. It was pretty much a complete regression.

So, I decided we had to somehow implement a "game-changer" to spin potty-training back into a positive light. As some of you will remember, Anh and I resorted to bribery when pottery-training Jaxon. However, Baylor already has pretty much EVERYTHING a kid could possibly desire thanks to big brother. It might technically be a hand-me-down or shared possession, but the kid has it ALL! Initially, Anh and I tried rewarding Baylor with candy for a successful trip to the potty, but we very quickly realized that Baylor was losing interest in that reward. So, I was grasping at straws to find motivation for him. Then, I spotted this while walking through a Target clearance aisle.

At $100, I figure it equals 5 boxes of diapers. So, if we speed this process along by at least 5 boxes, it was money well spent. I ran the idea by Anh who had cleaned out the garage the day before, and he left the decision squarely in my court. As soon as I made the purchase, I texted Anh to tell him the good news and in response, he said, "Glad u bought it. Was just thinking the other day how we have entirely too much garage space." I'm gonna guess he wasn't entirely on board with my decision. Ha!

The plan was to let Baylor sit in the car as a reward. After a successful day, I'd actually let him drive the car. Things started off great! Baylor was thrilled to see a car that is all his, and eagerly visited the potty so he could pretend to drive afterwards while honking the horn and turning on the headlights. Then, we headed out of town to meet Grandfather and Grandma at Disney World and our progress started to unravel. Obviously, the Mini Cooper couldn't make the trip with us. Plus, our schedule was all off, and Baylor was too distracted by the Disney magic to focus on bodily functions. That is until Grandfather presented Baylor with a Lightening McQueen penny that he made in one of those Press-A-Penny machines.

Baylor was OBSESSED with that penny for 2 straight days. It was with him at ALL times. If he dared put it in his pocket, he had to check on it every 10 seconds to make sure it was still there. One night after a successful potty break, Grandma rewarded Baylor with a second penny. He sprinted to show me and exclaimed, "Look! I got money cause I poo-pooed in da potty!" Seriously?! Is that all it takes?! A freakin' penny?! Well, kid, I've got 10,000 pennies tied up in that Mini Cooper. What does that get me?!

And, the adventure continues...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh goodness. I love hearing these stories. However, they are scaring me b/c I fear I am going to have to the same issues on Maxx. Looking forward to future updates. :)

Shannon said...

I hope Maxx is easier for you, Amanda. Both of my boys are/were stubborn which makes it very frustrating. Baylor can do it. He's just doesn't care. Hopefully, he'll decide to get on-board with the program soon. : (