Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Name Game

We all have Jaxon to thank for our names or perhaps I should say titles or nicknames. Ba-Ba, Anh's mom, was the first to be renamed by 1-year old Jax. Ba-Ba was Jaxon's version of the Vietnamese word for paternal grandmother, bà nội. I'm not sure why he chose to shorten it because he never had trouble saying ông nội which means paternal grandfather when addressing Anh's dad.

Jaxon's formality continued when addressing my dad who was dubbed Grandfather, but my mom has always simply been Grandma. The casual approach continued within the immediate family. Anh transitioned from Da-Da to Daddy to Dad, and while Jaxon took his sweet time saying my name, eventually he muttered Ma-Ma which led to Mommy, and now, I am simply known as Mom. Baylor has always been Bay-Bay. Although, we have been making more of an effort lately to use his real name because I'm not sure he realizes he has one!

Speaking of Baylor, he has taken his own liberties lately with The Name Game. Over Thanksgiving, my dad was "Grandfather" to Jaxon and "Gran-fa-eee" to Baylor. Those were the two most uttered words of the holiday BY FAR! We'll see who is renamed at Christmas. This could get confusing!

No comments: